Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LX 6th gen aftemarket Radio unit and cubby din pocket?

Old 08-29-2005, 05:56 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LX 6th gen aftemarket Radio unit and cubby din pocket?

I just installed a new aftermarket Kenwood headunit in my 2000 Accord coupe, however, I'm not totally happy with the installation thanks to the Metra dash kit used to install most aftermarket radios.

Anyone with an LX 98-00 model year, simply just swap HU? Could I remove the brackets from the sides of my EX radio and attach them to the radio then purchase an LX cubby din pocket to fill in the space below the radio? It looks like I could do this, but the radio appears to be the piece in question.

The headunit came with screws for a Toyota or Nissan OE bracket install, but I didn't see anything in the directions for a Honda install. Just wondering, I don't have an LX headunit or cubby pocket, but I would gladly purchase the setup if I knew it would work.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:12 PM
jschmid

Well when I got a new HU in my LX about 5 years ago, I had a shop do it cause it was before I really started doing stuff on my car, but they used a replacement pocket like you are describing, and I didn't like the pocket either. I remember thinking the little factory door would look better, but for some reason I guess I didn't think it would work, so I didn't try to use it, or did and it didn't fit the space left, or something of that sort.

I ended up with the aluminum plate and "Accord" badge to cover the hole, maybe you remember it from when you saw my car.

I'd experiment with my stock radio and door to find out what's possible for you, but unfortunately it's at my parents house a few hundred miles away.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:17 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

yeah, I remember your plate :P

I don't have the LX door and cubby pocket to play with, I only have the EX double din radio and brackets for it at this time. So I'm note sure if..

A. the EX bracket will work, I'm in Iowa on travel at the moment.
B. If the cubby would bolt to the EX bracket.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:27 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

The EX's bracket will work just fine with the OEM din pocket w. door.

I have that in my ride right now, and all is good.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:54 PM
lk21joker
AnotherAccordOwner

I dont think the HU with the bracket and the factory LX pocket will fit as nice as the after kit with pocket. The size of the HU is a little bigger than the factory pocket size, so if you stack the HU on the pocket, and install it, you wont be able to put the kenwood HU trim ring round the unit faceplate. Without that trim ring, it will make your new kenwood hu faceplate look skinny and somewhat ugly.

With the aftermarket pocket, it will make your installation easier. For my car, I didnt use the bracket, I used the metal sleeve with an aftermarket kit with pocket. It looks alright. If you would like to see some pictures, I'll post them tomorrow
Old 08-29-2005, 11:03 PM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just unbolted the Lx radio and bolted the aftermarket radio back on as my radio (alpine) had holes where the screws fit on the sides like stock.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:24 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Originally Posted by lk21joker
I dont think the HU with the bracket and the factory LX pocket will fit as nice as the after kit with pocket. The size of the HU is a little bigger than the factory pocket size, so if you stack the HU on the pocket, and install it, you wont be able to put the kenwood HU trim ring round the unit faceplate. Without that trim ring, it will make your new kenwood hu faceplate look skinny and somewhat ugly.

With the aftermarket pocket, it will make your installation easier. For my car, I didnt use the bracket, I used the metal sleeve with an aftermarket kit with pocket. It looks alright. If you would like to see some pictures, I'll post them tomorrow
Sure that would be great.
For those running the Alpine HU does the trim ring for the faceplate still fit?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:35 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by MrChad
Sure that would be great.
For those running the Alpine HU does the trim ring for the faceplate still fit?
nope. It's not the extra din's fault either, it's the design on the entire radio/heater control bezel.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:40 AM
jschmid

Originally Posted by e3NiNe
nope. It's not the extra din's fault either, it's the design on the entire radio/heater control bezel.
Well the trim ring on my Alpine fits just fine with the aftermarket pocket, witht the factory radio/HVAC control bezel, so maybe it's the factory LX pocket that causes your trim to not fit.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:25 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

My kenwood trim ring fits usning the metra kit.
I would assume any issues would be the pockets fault as well.

That is one of my other concerns as well.

The metra kit isn't too bad, but the lower pocket bows up just a tad and it doesn't look as clean as the install kit for my Ford or other cars have used.

So I was hoping that maybe the LX install would be cleaner.