Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Overs Vs. Lowering Springs?

Old 08-29-2005, 11:35 AM
HallKemar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Overs Vs. Lowering Springs?

Alot of local mechanics have been telling me, the best way to go about lowering ur suspension is to get lowering springs since coil overs equal to a very bump ride..Well, after hearing that I went online and found a very good deal on a set of 4 springs, but before i went about ordering them i asked another mechanic and he said i should get coil overs...Im confused, which ones better???? Also, which brand of springs would you guys recommend?

92 ACCORD DX
Old 08-29-2005, 12:27 PM
JL95AccorD

depends on A LOT of things. Where you live (how bad the roads are, does it snow) how low do you want to drop, would you really need the ability to raise and lower your car at certain times or ocassions... and of course most important of all... your budget.

P.S. i hope your "very good deal" is not an ebay deal.
Theres certain things that are alright to buy off ebay, and certain things its best to search for genuine brand names. "You get what you pay for" is something everyone here will tell ya, and it's VERY true.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:49 PM
HallKemar

Yes, it does snow..Im going to pay atleast 100 for the springs, drop zones preferably
Old 08-29-2005, 05:53 PM
jschmid

Most would agree that Drop zone, and others like that are not "coil-overs" but rather "coil sleeves" that fit on your stock shocks. Coil-over suspension is usually referring to a system with a spring mated with a shock that has a threaded body.

Good coilovers, sure, they are great. Drop-zone, I'd avoid.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:35 PM
HallKemar

alright..so which brand?!
Old 08-29-2005, 07:58 PM
jschmid

Originally Posted by HallKemar
alright..so which brand?!
Tein, Apexi, etc.

The real questions are:

1. How much do you want to lower your car?

2. Is being able to adjust the height of your car a priority to you?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:11 PM
azian21485

drop springs have progressive rates...the idea is around town you'll have low spring rates so won't feel every bump in the road...but when you want to turn you'll start using higher spring rates as the spring compresses...not ideal for handling but great for a sporty ride

coilover sleeves as well as good full coilovers will use linear springs...this means a stiff spring will always be a stiff spring...use low spring rates and your ride will be fine

please keep in mind that shocks determine the majorty of the quality of the ride...springs will only determine very little of the ride quality

also, before someone asks infamous question "whats the difference between sleeves and full coilovers,"

after trying to explain this so many times, here's the easy answer

full coilovers is like buying a dell. Dependable (subjective) and the more you spend on a quality company, the better system you'll have.

sleeves + shocks is like building your own computer. Will be great to adapt to your needs if you know what you're doing but will mess you up if you don't

also, if you're looking for springs, check out my sig =)
Old 08-29-2005, 08:33 PM
HallKemar

^ thanks alot!