Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake calipers- Akebono or Nissin?

Old 08-27-2005, 10:38 AM
coregis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake calipers- Akebono or Nissin?

I've needed to replace my rear calipers on my 94 Accord EX for over a month. Every mechanic I called quoted me $199 each for the parts, so I'm ordering them myself. I've had a total nightmare trying to get someone to ship me the correct part with new brcakets and pins, and nobody in my town stock them for me to look at for a reasonable price. For the record, the lowest price I can find is $92 each for calipers with the brackets and pins. I've had multiple companies swear they have the brackets on there for less, but invariably I end up sending them back.
My question is- I know there are two versions of the rear calipers for the 94EX, Akebono and Nissin. The ones I'm going to order now don't specify which, but in my experience with this particular reman company, they will be Nissin. I have no idea what is on my car, and I have no jackstands or anything, which is why I'm calling mechanics in the first place. Does it make any difference at all who made the original brakes? Will the new Nissin calipers when and if (god willing) they arrive fit even if Akebono was there before? Someone please help me-I'm so sick of ordering and returning parts. Thanks!!
Old 08-27-2005, 02:03 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you have to do is remove the wheel to find out, it's stamped on the caliper. And I don't have jackstands either, didn't your car come with a scissor jack Do this yourself.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:25 PM
coregis

Thanks for the tip.

Do I have to replace the calipers with the exact brand of calipers that was on there originally, or are the parts interchangeable? Nobody lists which kind of calipers they stock, which makes me believe that it won't matter, but I'd like to know before I order the parts. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:56 PM
90sicivic
ACCORD & CIVIC TUNER

you dont have to replace the ones on there now with the same excat brand... you can change them out to any brand you want as long as they fit. now you could go with the performence ones that make braking less distance where you can like stop on a dime. or the stock ones.. which you stop 120 ft. from 60 mph...

b
Old 08-27-2005, 04:06 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Nissin makes most OEM Honda brake parts, just like how Denso makes most of the electronics.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a parts catalouge at the moment so I can't tell you what your particular car uses.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:46 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by coregis
Thanks for the tip.

Do I have to replace the calipers with the exact brand of calipers that was on there originally, or are the parts interchangeable? Nobody lists which kind of calipers they stock, which makes me believe that it won't matter, but I'd like to know before I order the parts. Thanks.
Can't you just call the dealer with your VIN number and ask them which brand you have if for some reason you can't take your wheel off? I don't see why they couldn't look it up for you.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:22 PM
scanrps
Honda Parts Tech

Just get a Honda reman from the dealer if you want to be sure.
They are in $90 range(+ $50 core) and has a 3 year warranty.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:53 PM
coregis

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Can't you just call the dealer with your VIN number and ask them which brand you have if for some reason you can't take your wheel off? I don't see why they couldn't look it up for you.
How to find out what type I have is not an issue, and never was. I was just being lazy and looked earlier, but that knowledge does not answer my question or change my current situation.

The problem here is that there are two OEM brands of this caliper for the 5th generation Accords.

I apologise for being unclear, but I need to know if I absolutely must replace my old caliper with the same exact brand of caliper, or if I can use the other OEM version or even another type. The parts I have found that match my car do not say what brand of caliper they are, only who did the remanufacturing. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to buy the parts that are stocked locally, and so I will not be able to inspect the parts until they are paid for and delivered.

I suppose I could ask a distributor to dig through their inventory and check to see what brand of part they would send out if I were to place an order and then report back to me, but I thought I'd ask here because somebody may know if that was not even necessary. Someone has already suggested that it should not matter what brand I receive. I will let everyne know how it turns out, and I appreciate your help.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:37 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by coregis
How to find out what type I have is not an issue, and never was. I was just being lazy and looked earlier, but that knowledge does not answer my question or change my current situation.

The problem here is that there are two OEM brands of this caliper for the 5th generation Accords.

I apologise for being unclear, but I need to know if I absolutely must replace my old caliper with the same exact brand of caliper, or if I can use the other OEM version or even another type. The parts I have found that match my car do not say what brand of caliper they are, only who did the remanufacturing. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to buy the parts that are stocked locally, and so I will not be able to inspect the parts until they are paid for and delivered.

I suppose I could ask a distributor to dig through their inventory and check to see what brand of part they would send out if I were to place an order and then report back to me, but I thought I'd ask here because somebody may know if that was not even necessary. Someone has already suggested that it should not matter what brand I receive. I will let everyne know how it turns out, and I appreciate your help.
Oh, okay. No it doesn't matter as long as you're replacing the entire caliper assembly.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:05 PM
jschmid

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
All you have to do is remove the wheel to find out, it's stamped on the caliper. And I don't have jackstands either, didn't your car come with a scissor jack Do this yourself.
Woah, you actually use that thing? Get a nice floor jack and some jack stands and you'll be glad you did.