Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Code Error BUT NO Transmission Symptoms?

Old 08-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Austin Bees

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Code Error BUT NO Transmission Symptoms?

Hi all!

I have a Honda Accord EX 96, with 93,000 miles (and in perfect shape!) About 4 months ago, I took my car to get a transmission fluid flushed. BIG mistake, I took it to a mechanic specialized in Hondas but not to the dealership. Two months later the “engine light” came on and I took it to the dealership. They told me that the car needed the transmission to be replaced. BUT the car doesn't have any symptoms of transmission failures. The dealership wanted me to trade the car in and gave me a repair cost estimation of $3,600. When I called them back (2 weeks later) and said that I would prefer to fix my car instead of trading it in, they told me that the repair would cost me $2,600. I checked with another dealership: same thing, code reads transmission problem. Suggestion: trade the car in. Cost of repairing it (from second dealership) $4,000 !!!!!!

Any suggestion of what is going on? Ideas?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2005, 02:59 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well your mistake was putting non Honda Genuine Fluid in the transmission. It's written numerous places that the transmission is to only get that specific type of fluid.

As for the codes, it depends on what the codes are...we can't help you if we don't have any information on your problem.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Austin Bees

Default Extra info...

Thanks for your suggestion. However, my mistake was to take my car to a "Honda" mechanic, who does not work in a dealership. Actually, his shop's name is "Honda Care"! He told me that he was using Honda transmission fluid.

BUT the latest founding: I just checked the transmission fluid and it is almost EMPTY! Both dealerships told me that they checked the transmission fluid. Even more, I called them on Friday to see if the problem could have been related to the transmission fluid and/or something that the other mechanic did and they told me "no" b/c they checked! So, the "check the engine" light came on b/c the transmission fluid was low/super low!!!!!
I should have not trusted what the dealerships were telling me? Sure I shouldn't!

Tomorrow first thing, I'll take my car to another dealership to get the transmission fluid.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:12 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by Austin Bees
Thanks for your suggestion. However, my mistake was to take my car to a "Honda" mechanic, who does not work in a dealership. Actually, his shop's name is "Honda Care"! He told me that he was using Honda transmission fluid.

BUT the latest founding: I just checked the transmission fluid and it is almost EMPTY! Both dealerships told me that they checked the transmission fluid. Even more, I called them on Friday to see if the problem could have been related to the transmission fluid and/or something that the other mechanic did and they told me "no" b/c they checked! So, the "check the engine" light came on b/c the transmission fluid was low/super low!!!!!
I should have not trusted what the dealerships were telling me? Sure I shouldn't!

Tomorrow first thing, I'll take my car to another dealership to get the transmission fluid.
I would imagine that you didn't check the tranny fluid in the proper setting...the engine has to be warmed up and the cooling fan has to have come on twice. I've never heard of a transmission losing fluid unless it's though a halfshaft seal, in which case you'd hopefully notice it. Once again, we need the code to help you. Go to autozone and have them tell you what it is.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:10 AM
JL95AccorD

Your problem began when you allowed the mech to sell you the tranny flush. You should never do a tranny flush on honda trannies. You're just suppose to do drain and refill with honda TF.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:38 PM
stereo

there was a TSB (98-040) from honda on the 96-97 4cyl accord about the trans code ,I assume you got the P0740 code if so see atachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
A98-040.pdf (36.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 08-31-2005, 07:51 PM
ace

Have had a similar problem, recently, with a 98 accord with 100K miles and a code that came up to "low pressure in one of the gears". Spoke with many honda dealers who quoted me prices in that ball park. Finally called up Honda and asked for a "good will gesture". They offered to pay half of the cost of tranny replacement. Hondas, unfortunately, do have some problems with their trannys and they know it. In many TSBs, there are free tranny replacements within the warranty period. Just talk to Honda and ask the regional rep to contact you back. Negotiate with them, tell them that you've had many accords without tranny failures.

I am still waiting for the tranny to die since there's no problems so far...knock on wood.