Notices

FAQ: Accord 6th Gen 98-02 DTCs

Old 08-24-2005, 11:43 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FAQ: Accord 6th Gen 98-02 DTCs

This thread will list the DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) with a brief description of it. To receive a more in depth explanation of the code and/or troubleshooting methods, please search the forum for that code or ask in my TSB/tech question thread.

I HAVE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, ABS, TCS OR SRS LIGHT; HOW DO I FIND OUT THE TROUBLE CODE? For 6th gens, you'll have to either bring the car to the dealer and for $60 they'll tell you and diagnose it or you can bring it to an Autozone or similiar and they'll hook up an OBDII reader to your car for free and grab your code. However, there is a special shortcut you can take to eliminate the need to start your car up:

Reading Check Engine/ABS/TCS/SRS Codes
Courtesy of http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jweller1/check_eng.html

OK this is pretty easy. look at the picture below, thats the service connector. If you look up under the dash on the drivers side footwell, its right there, just above the hood release. You need to jumper the connector, just like in the picture. I've found a paperclip is excellent for this task. what you want to do is this.

1) Jumper the service connector
2) Turn the ignition key to ON
3) Count the flashes on the instrument panel
4) Look up what the code means

The flashes will be a series of long blinks, a pause, followed by short ones. For example:

Long-Long-Long-Long-Long-Long-Long____ShortShort

7 long and 2 short, indicates a code 72, Cyl #2 misfire.

The 'MIL indication' column refers to the number of times the CEL blinks when you insert the paper clip into the OBD II reader. It is not uncommon to get multiple codes, so be careful and write them down.

TROUBLESHOOTING MULTIPLE INDICATOR LIGHTS

The ABS/TCS and ATTS control units communicate with the ECM/PCM. If a DTC causes a loss of communication between two or more of these control units, the loss can cause multiple indicator lights to come on. For instance, when the ABS/TCS control unit stops getting data from the ECM/PCM, it sets a communication DTC such as TCS DTC 31 [engine retard command (PFINH) signal]. This DTC doesn't mean there's a circuit or control unit failure. It just means the flow of data between the ABS/TCS control unit and the ECM/PCM has stopped. If you troubleshoot the PGM-FI system or the ABS/TCS first, and clear the DTCs, you'll most likely fix the problem.

As a general rule, troubleshoot DTCs that aren't related to communication first.

For example, if DTC P1676 (FPTDR signal line failure) is set, and the ABS/TCS control unit has set a TCS DTC 24 thru 27 (TCS solenoid), troubleshoot the TCS DTC problem first.

A second example: If the ECM/PCM sets a DTC P1498 (EGR valve position sensor circuit voltage high), and the ABS/TCS control unit sets a TCS DTC 31, you need to troubleshoot the DTC P1498 problem first.

Accord 98-02 DTC Codes

Engine Codes

Transmission Codes

*The number in parenthesis is the D4 blink code

SRS Air Bag Codes

1-1 Open In Driver's Airbag Inflator
1-2 Increased Resistance In Driver's Airbag Inflator
1-3 Short to Wire or Less Resistance In Driver Airbag Inflator
1-4 Short to Power In Driver's Airbag Inflator
1-5 Short to Ground In Driver's Airbag Inflator
2-1 Open In Passenger's Airbag Inflator
2-2 Increased Resistance In Passenger's Airbag Inflator
2-3 Short to Wire or Less Resistance In Pass. Airbag Inflator
2-4 Short to Power In Passenger's Airbag Inflator
2-5 Short to Ground In Passenger's Airbag Inflator
5-1 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
5-2 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
5-3 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
5-4 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
5-5 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
5-8 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
6-1 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
6-2 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
6-3 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
6-4 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
7-1 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
7-2 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
7-3 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
8-1 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
8-2 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
8-5 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
8-6 Internal Failure of SRS Unit, or Two Failure At A Time
9-1 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
9-2 Internal Failure of SRS Unit
10-1 Internal Failure of SRS Unit

SRS Code Retrieval Help

Resetting SRS Codes

Erasing the DTC Memory

Special Tools Required
SCS Service Connector 07PAZ-0010100

To erase the DTC(s) from the SRS unit, use a Honda PGM Tester (see the Honda PGM Tester SRS Vehicle System Supplement) or the following procedure.

1) Make sure the ignition switch is OFF.

2) Connect the SCS service connector (A) (or a paper clip) to the MES connector (2P)(B).
3) Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
4) The SRS indicator light will come on for about 6 seconds , and then go off. 5) Remove the SCS service connector from the MES connector (2P) within 4 seconds after the light goes off.
6) The SRS indicator light will come on again. Reconnect the SCS service connector to the MES connector (2P) within 4 seconds after the light comes on.
7) When the SRS indicator light goes off, remove the SCS service connector from the MES connector (2P) within 4 seconds .
8) The SRS indicator light will blink two times indicating that the memory has been erased.
9) Turn the ignition switch OFF, and wait for 10 seconds .
10) Turn the ignition switch ON (II) again. The SRS is OK if the SRS indicator light comes on for 6 seconds , and then goes off.

ABS Codes

TCS Codes

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
service_cnctr.jpg (241.7 KB, 628 views)
Old 08-24-2005, 03:41 PM
lk21joker
AnotherAccordOwner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, 98CoupeV6, You are the greatest contributor to HAN!!! Keep up the good work, now i dont have to buy a Helm manual haha....
Old 08-24-2005, 07:47 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by lk21joker
WOW, 98CoupeV6, You are the greatest contributor to HAN!!! Keep up the good work, now i dont have to buy a Helm manual haha....
haha thanks. But buy it anyway because when you're on a road trip and shit goes wrong you'll be glad you had it It was one of the best investments I ever made.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:02 AM
lk21joker
AnotherAccordOwner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where do i get that manual? pepboys?
Old 08-25-2005, 09:17 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by lk21joker
where do i get that manual? pepboys?
No, pepboys only has shitty haynes manuals. You'll need a Helms from www.helminc.com
Old 08-29-2005, 09:31 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Updated with instructions on how to pull the code. Now everyone can be their own mechanic! Also added in the ABS/TCS codes which I forgot.

Using that 'paperclip' method will also tell you the ABS and the tranny code as well.

If anyone needs a diagnosis or repair procedure, feel free to ask in this thread!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:38 PM
mrherrera

Default 98 accord v6 abs light

Well.i try the paper clip but it only work for the check engine light not the ABS,my ABS light is on and my car feels like is running forcefully,is there a different way i could jumper the paperclip?
Old 09-03-2005, 06:59 AM
mrherrera

is the other way around,i only have the codes for the ABS,i got the code 81, 13, 53,i read what the code meant,so now i just want to know if i gotta replace the sensor and the cpu unit,the motor is stuck,what is the next step i should take?i want to know what parts i need to replace before i get ripped off by the mechanic.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:51 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by mrherrera
is the other way around,i only have the codes for the ABS,i got the code 81, 13, 53,i read what the code meant,so now i just want to know if i gotta replace the sensor and the cpu unit,the motor is stuck,what is the next step i should take?i want to know what parts i need to replace before i get ripped off by the mechanic.
Are you sure your maintenance required light is on and not your check engine light? It should work for everything.

Wait until Monday...I'll post the troubleshooting procedures for your codes then when I'm at work.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:41 PM
mrherrera

i have the ABS light on and the check engine light?both lights are on,i really appreciated all your help.THANKS