Notices

'04 Accord - CRACKED front brake pads

Old 07-29-2005, 10:51 AM
2004accord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 Accord - CRACKED front brake pads

I have a '04 Accord 4-cy/VTec.

I have almost 24,000 miles on my car and the sensors are wearing on my back brake pads. My dad took off my front wheels to look at those pads as well. There is about 50% more pad to go on both front pads, but they are cracked down the middle of each pad and also cracked along the seam where the pad sits on the metal plate. It has caused my rotors to wear significantly. The back rotors are still smooth and shiney. The front ones have grooves it them, on both sides. Has anyone ever had that happen before??
Old 07-29-2005, 11:01 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had pads break apart (the friction material from the backing plate) but never crack. Sounds like either a factory defect on the pads or improper braking techniques (such as slamming the brakes on very hard in cold weather, or even warm weather) could be the culprit.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:28 AM
neonknight0311

Hum....I think your car is still under warranty. I would guess that perhaps your calipers are the culprit, uneven pressure from the pot is causing your pads to crack. Just a guess. However, your car is still fairly NEW and I would think the dealer would take care of it. The pads might not be under warranty but the calipers should be. The uneven wear of your discs (front versus rear) would suggest a caliper or pressure issue (you do have ABS right?). Don't put up with any crap, make the dealer take care of it.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:53 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

Don't front brakes do most of the braking, making them wear more?
Old 08-01-2005, 10:09 AM
2004accord

I took my car into the dealer on Fri. pm and they insisted that it was only "surface cracks" on my front pads and those are "normal." Honda had a print out of what "surface cracks" are suppose to look like and the cracks I had on my pads didn't looked anything like the picture he showed me. He was full of shit! My dad says in the 30 years he's been a mechanic, he's NEVER seen pads crack like that! But the man at Honda kept insisting that they were only surface cracks and wouldn't do anything about it.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:10 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2004accord
I took my car into the dealer on Fri. pm and they insisted that it was only "surface cracks" on my front pads and those are "normal." Honda had a print out of what "surface cracks" are suppose to look like and the cracks I had on my pads didn't looked anything like the picture he showed me. He was full of shit! My dad says in the 30 years he's been a mechanic, he's NEVER seen pads crack like that! But the man at Honda kept insisting that they were only surface cracks and wouldn't do anything about it.
Take it to a different dealer or call the regional service manager. From what you've said, that's BS.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:58 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

^ Yes, I agree. I think something like that could be a potential safety issue. I've never seen a cracked pad on any of my Hondas, or anything else for that matter.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:32 PM
murfs66
7th Gen accord sedan

The cracks are not normal by any means ,but can occur when breaking hard and heating up the pad eliment. There not a safety hazzard though unless they are falling apart they can still run the life expected. I'v had this on many cars and they all have lasted the life there supposed to.