Thank GOD I have a manual.....
Old 07-07-2005, 01:42 PM
VTEC-Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So should I be putting 89 in my CRX?
Old 07-07-2005, 02:06 PM
DuffMan983

unless you have upgraded your ignition system, yea you should be running 89. Hondas have horrible spark energy even with the platinums. The higher octane won't get proper combustion and can possibly blow out your spark. The incredibly weak coil inside the distributor cap is junk. Upgrade to an MSD power cap and Blaster coil and you can run higher octanes. Or even better get an MSD ignition system.

They lost power in that car because the ignition system was bone stock and really weak. The higher octane fuel didn't get proper combustion and most likely didn't burn completely.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:42 PM
h22accord
155mph and still climbing

Originally Posted by DuffMan983
unless you have upgraded your ignition system, yea you should be running 89. Hondas have horrible spark energy even with the platinums. The higher octane won't get proper combustion and can possibly blow out your spark. The incredibly weak coil inside the distributor cap is junk. Upgrade to an MSD power cap and Blaster coil and you can run higher octanes. Or even better get an MSD ignition system.

They lost power in that car because the ignition system was bone stock and really weak. The higher octane fuel didn't get proper combustion and most likely didn't burn completely.

Im calling :bs: on this one, at least on the half i know. I dont know about d series civic's, BUT i do know that most all B, F, and H series (both internal and external coil) ignition systems have more than enough juice for bolt on mods and preimum gas. Most properly operating honda ignition systems can also handle a pretty good amount of boost with out upgrading. In fact its one of the best factory ignition systems out there. The reason for hp loss lies not in the ignition system at all but in the ECU. The stock honda ecu was programed for good gas mileage and low emissions. When you start putting aftermarket mods on your car your ecu will start trying to get back that lost fuel mileage by retarding the timming and doing what ever it can to try to bring the car back to factory spec. That goes for preium fuel also. Yes there is the "SMART" side of a honda ecu that learns your mods but Unless your car was ment to run on 93(or 91 for those less fortunate than I) than it wont ever run right with that ecu. I would put 100 bucks that if they put a Jun or Skunk2 reprogramed ECU in that car that they would gain their lost HP and then some, because it would take mods to their full potential.