Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plugs?

Old 06-27-2005, 11:12 PM
shonnv
7th Gen Coupe V6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark Plugs?

Does anyone knows about spark plugs? Does it makes a difference when you put the spark plugs with 4 things on top instead of 1.
I did that to my old 97 cavalier 2.4 and I did felt the difference but I want to try the same on my 03 Accord V6. Is it going to affect the warranty or any damage to the engine?
Thanks alot
Old 06-28-2005, 12:27 AM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

such as the platinum 4's?
it is probably a pretty good upgrade and you would notice more of a difference on a v6.
it wouldnt damaage nor void the warranty but you HAVE to make sure you get the ones specifically for your model and year.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:20 AM
jobrien

Platinums are a waste of money! Period. In some cases they can even cause your car not to run right. They did nothing for my 95 Accord and actually made it run a little rough.

Stick to OEM. NGK are GREAT plugs anyway.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:25 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by shonnv
Does anyone knows about spark plugs? Does it makes a difference when you put the spark plugs with 4 things on top instead of 1.
I did that to my old 97 cavalier 2.4 and I did felt the difference but I want to try the same on my 03 Accord V6. Is it going to affect the warranty or any damage to the engine?
Thanks alot
No, do NOT put the ones with 4 things in your Accord. Those are Bosch Platinum 4's, and I've heard many horror stories of people running Bosh's in Hondas. General rule of thumb: do not put German spark plugs in Japanese engines.

If you want the best performance, get coppers. For relatively low compression, normally aspirated engines like ours, coppers will provide the best spark. My personal favorites are NGK V-Power. However, if you want increased longevity, get platinum like you get from Honda. They will last at least twice longer than coppers, but are more expensive and theoretically shouldn't produce a spark as powerful. Iridiums are a waste of money for our car, IMO, as they are mainly good for high compression and turbocharged engines where the spark plug needs to be able to withstand a very high temperature. So go 'NGK' or 'Denso' copper for economy and performance or platinum for longevity.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:26 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

And I had the same exact question when I was looking to buy spark plugs and saw the Bosh 4's, so I did a ton of research on an engineering database and read a lot of technical papers
Old 06-28-2005, 09:11 AM
blacknight07601

Bottom line, unless you have some type of force induction (Turbo, SuperChrgr, Nitrous, Propane) You should just go with what's recommended for your car. NGK's make some pretty good plugs for Honda's. If anything, instead of 7mm wires, you should get 8mm wires. You may not notice a difference in power, but at least the spark would be better.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:43 AM
shonnv
7th Gen Coupe V6

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
And I had the same exact question when I was looking to buy spark plugs and saw the Bosh 4's, so I did a ton of research on an engineering database and read a lot of technical papers
What did you do after all the research? which one did you install?

So the bottom line is Bosh 4's will not make any difference in performance and generaly Spark plugs does not make a diefference in performance of the engine? is that what everybody is saying?
Old 06-28-2005, 08:43 PM
fac90

Get NGK or Denso, As the Denso logo goes "First time fit" = No problems.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:24 AM
VTEC-Power

I use NGK Iridum, I think that is how you spell it :thinking:
Old 06-29-2005, 05:31 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by shonnv
What did you do after all the research? which one did you install?

So the bottom line is Bosh 4's will not make any difference in performance and generaly Spark plugs does not make a diefference in performance of the engine? is that what everybody is saying?
I bought NGK V-Power. $2 apiece.

Theoretically, coppers will perform the best for our car (since it is a relatively low compression, naturally aspirated non direct injection gasoline engine) because they have the highest conductivity. Iridiums will perform second best, and platinums will perform the worst. The longevity of the plugs is the exact opposite. However, the 'performance' is all relative - I doubt you'd ever notice the difference, and I wouldn't expect it to be more than 2 or 3 horsepower between a platinum and a copper. If that.

Bottom line: If you're going for economy, get coppers. If you're going for longevity, get platinums. The plugs are pretty easy to change on our cars, so I save some money and perhaps increase my MPG slightly with the coppers. Iridiums are inbetween, and IMO kind of useless unless you have a turbo. If I had an '01 Audi S4, for instance, I'd buy Iridiums.

Bosch's, and any German plug for that matter, could possibly mess up your engine. I've heard many stories of people putting Bosch's in their car and the timing being off, the idle being rough, or it not running right. As to why this is, I have no clue.