Thread: Spark Plugs?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 05:31 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shonnv
What did you do after all the research? which one did you install?

So the bottom line is Bosh 4's will not make any difference in performance and generaly Spark plugs does not make a diefference in performance of the engine? is that what everybody is saying?
I bought NGK V-Power. $2 apiece.

Theoretically, coppers will perform the best for our car (since it is a relatively low compression, naturally aspirated non direct injection gasoline engine) because they have the highest conductivity. Iridiums will perform second best, and platinums will perform the worst. The longevity of the plugs is the exact opposite. However, the 'performance' is all relative - I doubt you'd ever notice the difference, and I wouldn't expect it to be more than 2 or 3 horsepower between a platinum and a copper. If that.

Bottom line: If you're going for economy, get coppers. If you're going for longevity, get platinums. The plugs are pretty easy to change on our cars, so I save some money and perhaps increase my MPG slightly with the coppers. Iridiums are inbetween, and IMO kind of useless unless you have a turbo. If I had an '01 Audi S4, for instance, I'd buy Iridiums.

Bosch's, and any German plug for that matter, could possibly mess up your engine. I've heard many stories of people putting Bosch's in their car and the timing being off, the idle being rough, or it not running right. As to why this is, I have no clue.