Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 accord wont start when hot!!!

Old 05-12-2005, 09:36 AM
peterthespaz
The Dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 accord wont start when hot!!!

i have a 1986 accord LXi with 92k miles on it. after i have drivin it around and i try to start it back up, the engine rotates but wont fire. the first thing i checked is the main relay and had it replaced. i cleaned the battery terminals and the problem was still there. then i replaced the ignition control module, the spark plugs, the rotor, the distributer cap and the spark plug wires. the friggin problem is still there. the engine does get spark. i think it might have something to do with the PGM-FI because the light randomly turns on when im driving.
another thing that bugs me is the idle speed jumps up and down and usually rests at 2000rpm. im really tired of having to hang out at the grocery store for 4 hours, (getting gas is a whole other story!) and with summer approaching i dont think ill be able to make any 2-way trips. so please, any tips would be appreciated.
Peter
Old 05-12-2005, 12:08 PM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the code ..the ecu is under the driver's seat go to the back of the driver's seat pull the small cover turn the key to the on position and lookt hrough the hole and count the blinks..
Old 05-12-2005, 03:24 PM
peterthespaz
The Dude

ok i checked it.. 6 blink intervals.. no idea what that means lol
peter
Old 05-26-2005, 05:51 AM
skyshock21

Dead fuel pump? Clogged fuel filter? Bad fuel injectors? I dunno, just throwing out ideas here. If it's getting spark and not firing, it's probably not getting any fuel.

I had the same problem with my 99. Turned out to be the fuel relay. Cheap replacement.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:21 AM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

code 6 is ECT replace the coolanet temp for the computer it's on the thermostat housing the 2 pin sensor closer to the head if you replaced it then it might be the plug or wiring to the ecu , it may be the cause of your starting problem as the computer may think the engine is cold and flooding the motor.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:21 AM
magna77

I had a 91 accord same thing, but it was the fuel relay. I didn't check the codes. Did you say you already replaced the main relay? Is that the same as the fuel pump relay?

Is this what it is doing? Check this site.

http://techauto.tripod.com/