Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle jumping PLEASE HELP

Old 03-14-2005, 10:02 AM
dgilling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle jumping PLEASE HELP

I have a 1994 with about 160000 miles on it. I have had an idle jumping problem for quite some time now. I first took my IACV off and cleaned it to try that. It helped but did not fix it. Second, I followed the engine code that told me it was either my IACV or my EGR. So I replaced my EGR, helped but did not fix it. So I ordered a used IACV because I didn't want to front the money for a new one. It helped but did not fix it. So I finally took it to honda and they told me it was my IACV. I thought I got a bad part so I sent the used part back and ordered a new OEM honda part, and it seems worse then when I put the used part on. I had a aftermarket air intake system on there that I took off and put the stock back on hoping to help the problem no luck it seemed to make it worse. I have chased all the vaccum lines they all seem good and creating vaccum. I have checked the fast idle valve, good. I have replaced the O2 sensor, fuel filter, PCV, reset the computer, I don't know what else the problem could be. Does anybody have any idea?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:28 AM
MarcD

Do you have the 2.2L 4cyl? Not sure what you problem could be, but I'll check the Helm manual tonight. Mine is for a '93 2.2L, but should be basically the same. I would have thought it was your IACV. Is it just the idle? It runs fine otherwise?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:34 PM
dgilling

Yeah it runs perfect, I just drove it 500 miles home and back this weekend. I have the 2.2L vtec the ex model. I've been doing some research today and finding that a lot of the idle surging is do to the fast idle thermal valve. Well the only way I checked that is the way the hayes manuel said to by putting my finger over the hole in the throttle body to see if there was a vaccum and it seemed good.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:40 PM
MarcD

The only other items the Helm manual show to check is the fuel injectors and the Map sensor. Is the engine light coming on?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:53 PM
dgilling

yes the the check engine light will come on only if I give it a cold start and just take off driving then the CEL will come on, but after it is warmed up it won't come on. What does the map sensor do? I don't think that it would be the fuel injectors because it runs so good otherwise but I could be wrong.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:07 PM
MarcD

I believe you should have a two pin connector under the dash on the passenger side (the 90-93 model does and yours should too). It is just above the kick panel. You can short out that connector with a paper clip and turn the ignition to on (not run). Then the computer will flash the codes to you. Short duration flashes are a single digit code; long are a second digit. I.E., three quick flashes is a code 3, Two long flashes and 1 short would be a 21. Multiple codes are separated by a long pause in between. The MAP sensor is a manifold absolute pressure sensor that determines the manifold pressure and converts it into an electircal signal for the computer. It could have a vacuum leak and cause idle problems. The Map sensor should give you either a code 3 or 5.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:04 PM
LowH22Accord

Default H22 problem in 91 accord

My swap is done now and im having a problem with it after 1 day out the shop...the check engine comes on and wont rev past 3 g's....HELP
Old 03-14-2005, 10:24 PM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take it back to the shop
Old 03-15-2005, 03:09 AM
MarcD

You might want to also check the PCV valve hose. Mine collapsed shut and I had a rough idle..
Old 03-15-2005, 01:07 PM
dgilling

Yeah I've check the check engine light before and it alway gave me the EGR or the IACV. Even after i put put both of those parts brand new in there. Since I've put the stock intake on it's gotten way worse it use to quit after it got warmed up but know it's all the time. Do you think that my map sensor could be bad even if it does not show me a code. Also I changed the PCV valve twice and checked and cleaned the vaccumm line attached to it.