Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transimission warm-up question.

Old 03-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Accord2005NJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transimission warm-up question.

Hi,

I know the engine needs to warm up when cold, and I always keep my car running in park until it reaches normal or close to normal operating temperature (the car is running in park for 5-6 minutes until I shift it in Drive).

However, I was wondering if the tranny gets warmed up just by having the car run in Park? Or does it take some actual driving to warm up the transmission.

Just wanna learn boys and girls so thanks for reply....
Old 03-03-2005, 03:13 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Searching on a topic that has been discussed numerous times is a good way to learn.

And the answer is kind of. But it doesn't matter since idling your car to warm it up is not beneficial in any way.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:38 PM
motoguy128

Unless your going racing... you don't need ot warm up the trasnmission. The increased amount of wear you might experience isn't noticeable.

Letting the engine sit and idle to warm up is about the most abbusive thing people do their car. Just start it up, wait 5-10 seconds (time it takes to buckle your seatbelt and put on sunglasses, check your mirrors..etc.) and GO!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 05:24 PM
flytojungho

no need for warm up.. just start your car and go(but take it easy until it reaches normal temp)
Old 03-03-2005, 05:28 PM
klnyc

I dont know man, I always let my car warm up for atleast 3 min b4 I jet off. I know, if you wait for 15-30sec, you not suppose jet off like mania. But I live like only 30second to the Hiway, so aint no way for me start and go.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Accord2005NJ

Hi,

You see - this is completely new to me. When I worked w/ Army they used to always tell us that we must fully warm up our vehicles.

Now, you guys are telling me that is completely wrong? I am not disbelieving you - I am just trying to understand. Isn't it better to have the RPM's go below 1000 (once the engine reaches normal operating temperature - NOP) or is it just sufficient to have the car iddle for a minute or two and then simply go?

You see - your advice is totally opposite what I have been told previously, including by some mechanics? I thought once the engine is warmed up, the oil also flows easier and better protects the engine. I understand prolonged iddling is bad but I thought waiting for the engine to warm up is actually god for the engine?
Old 03-03-2005, 09:48 PM
strykernyc

I personally wait at least 1 min before taking off slow. if i am about to jump n the highway i would defitnely wait for it to fully warm up.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:51 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

i warm up my car for 5 minutes 5 days out of the week and let me tell you...it really kills your mileage...i averaged about 18mpg on my last tank. that means it is 25 minutes of idling a week, sometimes more because i let the car idle outside while im finsihing my shit, lol.

my car is old and i drive only a couple blocks. not good for the engine because it never gets a chance to fully circulate the oil.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:45 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by Accord2005NJ
Hi,

You see - this is completely new to me. When I worked w/ Army they used to always tell us that we must fully warm up our vehicles.

Now, you guys are telling me that is completely wrong? I am not disbelieving you - I am just trying to understand. Isn't it better to have the RPM's go below 1000 (once the engine reaches normal operating temperature - NOP) or is it just sufficient to have the car iddle for a minute or two and then simply go?

You see - your advice is totally opposite what I have been told previously, including by some mechanics? I thought once the engine is warmed up, the oil also flows easier and better protects the engine. I understand prolonged iddling is bad but I thought waiting for the engine to warm up is actually god for the engine?
Do a search, there was a huge thread on this. Oil flows as soon as you turn the key and the engine is completely lubricated within 5 seconds.

Large diesel engines are totally different.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:22 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your engine & transmission will warm up better & faster by driving. Not only that, but it also warms up your wheel bearings & shocks. But that also means driving gently until it's warmed up. If it's cold enough to get ice on your windows, then let it idle for a minute while you scrape that off. It kinda works out...

Big diesel engines have issues with fuel & combustion that we don't have to worry about.