Notices

Transimission warm-up question.

Old 03-04-2005, 06:03 AM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Asked and answered. You arent doing a good job warming up your car. All you are doing is wasting gas, and increasing wear. If you wanto get into a warm car, so be it, but dont think you are doing the best thing for the car by idling it like you are. You are doing more harm then good.

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ht=warm+engine

As 98 said, you probably drove a diesel in the army. A gasoline engine is another animal, and doesnt need to warm up like diesels do.

The TL-S / The 540i

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 03-04-2005 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Accord2005NJ

Thanks guys. I'll take your advice.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:22 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Asked and answered. You arent doing a good job warming up your car. All you are doing is wasting gas, and increasing wear. If you wanto get into a warm car, so be it, but dont think you are doing the best thing for the car by idling it like you are. You are doing more harm then good.

As 98 said, you probably drove a diesel in the army. A gasoline engine is another animal, and doesnt need to warm up like diesels do.
oh...i feel so violated without warming up though
Old 03-06-2005, 03:53 PM
wbread99

I drove a Tractor Trailer in the Air Force for a long time, at northern tier bases (montana/Dakotas), and in the winter. Yes, diesels are not even close in that diesels will leave sooty deposits on the exhaust when cold (white/grey smoke in the exhaust)... and they need the thin oil to get up into the tiny places they need to go (like the turbo) so yes, diesels need to warm up appropriately... Your honda, on the other hand, needs about 15 seconds.... as everyone else here has said. Dunno about everyone else, but I have a huge incline to get out of my garage, so the fast idle of a cold engine helps me get out. Just gotta be gentle on the throttle for a the 1st few minutes. Every one knows the fastest way to warm up a car and achieve good gas mileage is to drive it easily.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Accord2005NJ

Originally Posted by wbread99
I drove a Tractor Trailer in the Air Force for a long time, at northern tier bases (montana/Dakotas), and in the winter. Yes, diesels are not even close in that diesels will leave sooty deposits on the exhaust when cold (white/grey smoke in the exhaust)... and they need the thin oil to get up into the tiny places they need to go (like the turbo) so yes, diesels need to warm up appropriately... Your honda, on the other hand, needs about 15 seconds.... as everyone else here has said. Dunno about everyone else, but I have a huge incline to get out of my garage, so the fast idle of a cold engine helps me get out. Just gotta be gentle on the throttle for a the 1st few minutes. Every one knows the fastest way to warm up a car and achieve good gas mileage is to drive it easily.
thx
Old 03-08-2005, 10:41 AM
idol4232003

i agree. i dont see any benefit from idling the car for some minutes to "warm up". what i normally do is wait a few secs, enough time to buckle my seatbelt, check mirrors, etc., and just go. but at first, i put it in a low enough gear so that the rpm's are just about the "warm up" level (~1500), but still meeting the speed limit. i normally hit a couple of stop lights anyway, so my engine's "warming up" while i'm sittin there.