Notices

is aem really worth the price?

Old 01-19-2005, 09:29 AM
wesside
2005 Evo Rs @24psi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hondadriver22

I have an H22a too and you should do cam's before even wanting to do cam gears and go with stage 1 unless you want to replace a couple other internalls. There is a great 5 pages of info that was in the jan issue of I think it was super street.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:35 PM
hondadriver22

by cams you meant camshaft right? ive heard that they add hp in school. i know camgears and camshafts are diff. (damn this thread went far)
Old 01-19-2005, 12:37 PM
hondadriver22

and if so where can i buy the camshaft? ive searched all over ebay and google, no sucess.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:50 PM
egb18c

just get anything with 5+ bolts. i str is one of my favorite cam gears
Old 01-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wesside
hondadriver22

I have an H22a too and you should do cam's before even wanting to do cam gears and go with stage 1 unless you want to replace a couple other internalls. There is a great 5 pages of info that was in the jan issue of I think it was super street.
:chuckles:

SS is a crap rag and should be avoided at all costs.

Anyways....you can do cam(s) and gear(s) without doing any other work but its going to take a lot to tune it correctly. Best bet when doing cam is have your valve train redone so that it will make the most of what the cam is going to do for your engine
Old 01-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally Posted by hondadriver22
by cams you meant camshaft right? ive heard that they add hp in school. i know camgears and camshafts are diff. (damn this thread went far)
Yes they add hp but you really need other items to make it a noticeable difference or even a minor difference in many cases.

Head work (port and polish) is a cheap but a good addition to cams.
New valves, springs and retainers.
Header and exhaust

These things are actually not that ad if you get in touch with a good machine shop. For my port and polish I think it cost me a total of $70 but I have different hookups than you do so I am not a good judge on actual cost of labor all the time.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:58 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by hondadriver22
and if so where can i buy the camshaft? ive searched all over ebay and google, no sucess.
Dood, save your money. CL-S cams add a ton of torque to my car, but they're not worth spending $300 on. It's an Accord. It took me 160,000 miles of ownership to realize it, but our cars are not built for anything except dependability, decent power and decent handling. If you want to make your car noticeably faster you'll be spending thousands of dollars. If you're okay doing that to an Accord, fine. I'll save my money for an S2000 in 2006 (if it all works out).
Old 01-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Dood, save your money. CL-S cams add a ton of torque to my car, but they're not worth spending $300 on. It's an Accord. It took me 160,000 miles of ownership to realize it, but our cars are not built for anything except dependability, decent power and decent handling. If you want to make your car noticeably faster you'll be spending thousands of dollars. If you're okay doing that to an Accord, fine. I'll save my money for an S2000 in 2006 (if it all works out).
pussy :fawk:

But I have to agree to a point. I wouldn't waste my money building the F motor that comes in it, and honestly shoveling money into any car is a waste of you effort and finances equally.

I have shoveled more money at cars then you could begin to imagine and now its like an addiction. Sure I have owned some pretty cool rides but the headaches...oh the headaches that come with it.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:35 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by Nightshade
pussy :fawk:

But I have to agree to a point. I wouldn't waste my money building the F motor that comes in it, and honestly shoveling money into any car is a waste of you effort and finances equally.

I have shoveled more money at cars then you could begin to imagine and now its like an addiction. Sure I have owned some pretty cool rides but the headaches...oh the headaches that come with it.
Yes, I am a pussy :fawk: But some people genuinely enjoy modifying cars and making slow cars fast. If you're just looking to get a fast(er) car, I don't think that sinking a grand into making your car do 0-60 in 7.8 instead of 8.4 is really worth it.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:03 PM
wesside
2005 Evo Rs @24psi

CL-S cams wouldn't do hondadriver22 cuz I think he has a h22?

Nightshade I said I think it was in super street shit havent seen the mag in a month. Anyway there is some really good sites out there that can give you the breakdown on vtec and there cams etc.. find out what is best for your setup/pockets hondadriver22.