Notices

Is It Time To Get Rid Of Her?

Old 01-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Panties Get Wet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is It Time To Get Rid Of Her?

Almost 54,000 miles on my San Marino 1999 Accord EX V6 Coupe, and folks, she has seen it all....my god.....two accidents, one major one where the whole front end was smashed up like an accordion (no pun intended) when some dumb older bitch decided to turn in front of me as I was going straight and she wanted to make a left from the opposite direction.....then another, just months before that one, where another young bitch rear ended me in a Pathfinder....that was just rear bumper damage. The first accident I mentioned had my car in the body shop for a month --- and the insurance company didnt total this car. Unbelievable. You had to SEE what was replaced in this car---the list was tremendous. They put everything back together instead.

Before these accidents, the car had white paint splashed all over it (which was removed by a detail place with some professional paint removal system that didnt take MY paint off), plus, I have had an alternator replaced when it died a couple months back, a new windshield after a rock hit it just a few months back too....I feel like this baby has just taken its toll and the sad thing is I cant get rid of it right now because I dont have ownership papers for the vehicle (my father does and he is 3000 miles away in Las Vegas where my parents live)....I would love to get rid of this car and step up to a four door sedan because Im kind of over the coupe thing, but I dont know if 54,000 miles is a lot for these cars or if I should be worried that these accidents and all these things the car has been through should matter.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:02 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

it's not uncommon for honda's to go over 150K on the dash if the car is taken care of proplerly.

if the situation was that bad with the front end wreck, do some inspection on the parts used to fix the car.

if they're all brand new from the factory and you don't have any problems right now, keep it.

most body shops go extremely cheap though. they'll purchase parts from junk yards to get a higher profit from the insurance check.

bottom line, if you're still happy, keep it. if you don't enjoy driving it, get something else. 3000 miles isn't something that certified next day mail won't fix.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:09 AM
skabone69

my 99 accord has 120,000miles on it and it drives great still. I just paid her off today and I'm going drive her till she dies. 54,000 miles is nothing for a honda, your still breaking the car in at that milage.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Panties Get Wet

Originally Posted by Eklypse39
it's not uncommon for honda's to go over 150K on the dash if the car is taken care of proplerly.

if the situation was that bad with the front end wreck, do some inspection on the parts used to fix the car.

if they're all brand new from the factory and you don't have any problems right now, keep it.

most body shops go extremely cheap though. they'll purchase parts from junk yards to get a higher profit from the insurance check.

bottom line, if you're still happy, keep it. if you don't enjoy driving it, get something else. 3000 miles isn't something that certified next day mail won't fix.
Thanks E,

I know what youre sayin about 3000 miles and the next day mail, but it has been hard convincing my father that the Accord should lie next to sleeping dogs being his 97 Accord Special Edition seems to be doing fine according to him. He seems to think my car will last forever and refuses to hand me ownership. It has been hard.

The front end accident I have my worries....I dont KNOW if this shop used genuine Honda parts to replace what was damaged....I know my whole front lip spoiler needed to be replaced, and one of my rims were damaged, and the whole hood had to be replaced....I have my doubts that a GENUINE Honda OEM under body spoiler was used by this shop to fix the damage....parts dont seem to line up right and there is a "cracking" that is forming at the attachment points.....when I brought this up to the shop, the guy said the replacement skirt kit would "keep doing this" because of the way it has to attach....I dont know if I buy it.....

What about the other issues.....should I get rid of the vehicle because it had a windshield replaced, an alternator replaced, these accidents, the re-painting because of the white paint splashed up on my car, and now, my fog lights indicator isnt lighting up.....
Old 01-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Panties Get Wet

Originally Posted by skabone69
my 99 accord has 120,000miles on it and it drives great still. I just paid her off today and I'm going drive her till she dies. 54,000 miles is nothing for a honda, your still breaking the car in at that milage.
Thanks for your take on it ska.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:56 AM
skabone69

Originally Posted by Panties Get Wet
Thanks for your take on it ska.
no prob. I wouldn't worry if you had to replace your windshield its no big deal, alternator don't worry, the accidents not a big deal if the shop repaired the car correctly. how does the car drive? my sister's CL had $15,000 in damage when someone hit her. her car still runs great and she'll run that thing into the ground. if the shop does good work the car will run better than when the car was new in some cases. hondas are good cars and they are reliable. the stuff you mentioned is minor, I wouldn't worry about it. you should be able to easily get to 180,000 miles. the only thing I had to replace that was a little out of the ordinary was the passanger side rear wheel bearing. so out of 120,000 miles of me beating the piss out of my car that was the only thing I had to do other than regular maintaince. I did the brakes with the help of some friends, all the oil changes on a regular basis, and the timing belt. you can't beat that for maintaince cost! stick with the accord for a while it can take some serious wear and tear.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:12 PM
bubbrubb

Your dads right, your car WILL last forever. Well, after you replace your tranny because its an auto and everyone knows they have janky ass tranny's. But after that, and the major service that you'll have to get 40k miles from now, you'll be fine. i mean, thats only gonna be like, 750 for the service, and if youre lucky <600 for your tranny to be replaced. So thats only like.... 450 + 750 + 600 + whatever IS going to happen to your car in the future. But yeah, your dad is right, it will last forever, but buh-leave me, youre gonna pay a lot to keep 'er young.

Oh, and for those people that are saying you'll get high 100k miles--pfft! you'll get high 200k miles in a accord. I know that 5th gens are soldiers, and i know a few that are 200k+ and still steady mobbin
Old 01-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Panties Get Wet

Originally Posted by skabone69
no prob. I wouldn't worry if you had to replace your windshield its no big deal, alternator don't worry, the accidents not a big deal if the shop repaired the car correctly. how does the car drive? my sister's CL had $15,000 in damage when someone hit her. her car still runs great and she'll run that thing into the ground. if the shop does good work the car will run better than when the car was new in some cases. hondas are good cars and they are reliable. the stuff you mentioned is minor, I wouldn't worry about it. you should be able to easily get to 180,000 miles. the only thing I had to replace that was a little out of the ordinary was the passanger side rear wheel bearing. so out of 120,000 miles of me beating the piss out of my car that was the only thing I had to do other than regular maintaince. I did the brakes with the help of some friends, all the oil changes on a regular basis, and the timing belt. you can't beat that for maintaince cost! stick with the accord for a while it can take some serious wear and tear.
Thanks a lot man.....car seems to drive okay; I mean, it seems to me that after the accident, I have been getting a lot more creaks and squeaks and rattles everywhere, but it could just be imagination OR simple natural wear and tear for the vehicle. Sorry to hear about your sister's CL; what year was it that is was hit for $15,000 and HOW COME the insurance company didnt total her car??!! My accident was something like 8,000 dollars and the shop fixed it.....how could a $15,000 accident be repaired without being totaled?
Old 01-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Panties Get Wet

Originally Posted by bubbrubb
Your dads right, your car WILL last forever. Well, after you replace your tranny because its an auto and everyone knows they have janky ass tranny's. But after that, and the major service that you'll have to get 40k miles from now, you'll be fine. i mean, thats only gonna be like, 750 for the service, and if youre lucky <600 for your tranny to be replaced. So thats only like.... 450 + 750 + 600 + whatever IS going to happen to your car in the future. But yeah, your dad is right, it will last forever, but buh-leave me, youre gonna pay a lot to keep 'er young.

Oh, and for those people that are saying you'll get high 100k miles--pfft! you'll get high 200k miles in a accord. I know that 5th gens are soldiers, and i know a few that are 200k+ and still steady mobbin
Thanks Bub,

See, thats what I fear, that is all this expensive maintenance worth a car like this? I mean, we're not talking about a Benz or Bentley here people. How much maintenance is enough? I did a windshield, an alternator, a repainting of one side of the car, two accident repairs, now I need windshield wipers and I have a blown fog light button indicator....
Old 01-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Panties Get Wet

Originally Posted by Panties Get Wet
Thanks Bub,

See, thats what I fear, that is all this expensive maintenance worth a car like this? I mean, we're not talking about a Benz or Bentley here people. How much maintenance is enough? I did a windshield, an alternator, a repainting of one side of the car, two accident repairs, now I need windshield wipers and I have a blown fog light button indicator....

BTW Thanks Guys!