Notices

unable to remove axle shaft

Old 12-31-2004, 02:04 PM
dkgrnaccord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unable to remove axle shaft

Im replacing both axle shaft halves and am having trouble removing the psg. side inner bearing housing from the tranny. It will move out about a little under 1/2 in. then stop. I can feel the spring clip move out of its groove each time I try to pry it out. I can push it back in but the same thing happens. Its a 1996 accord 4cyl. automatic. Any suggestions or tricks to get this thing out? I dont see what it could be hung up on. I have bent two pry bars in the process. Thanks
Old 12-31-2004, 03:42 PM
h22accord
155mph and still climbing

did you take the axle it out of the wheel hub first? if so i have no idea what it could be. Try banging against it rather than applying constant pressure.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:21 PM
jschmid

Yeah, if it's free of the knuckle, it should come out...I've just used a pry-bar before and they've popped right out. I have a lot harder time getting the new ones in haha.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:17 PM
vassil3427

I think if you start the car and put the tranny in nuetral it should free it if its stuck...I'm just trying to remember if thats what we did when we replaced the axles on an accord a couple years ago...I think thats what we did....
Old 01-01-2005, 02:51 PM
dkgrnaccord

I dont see how starting the car and putting it in neutral would work? It turns freely as it is. The only thing that I can think of doing is to rebuild this portion of the shaft with the bearing cup where it is???????? The male splines must be seized tho the female splines???
Old 01-01-2005, 03:01 PM
hype8912
Dr. Klaw

Follow the manual. Use a flat screw driver, pry bar, or the tie rod seperator tool to pry the axle out from the tranny.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:57 PM
aero3685

Originally Posted by hype8912
Follow the manual. Use a flat screw driver, pry bar, or the tie rod seperator tool to pry the axle out from the tranny.
im guessing he has tried that... since he said he has bent 2 pry bars. im not sure what you should do from here... i thankfully *knock on wood* havent encountered this problem yet. I would just try to have someone hold the assembly, push the assembly back in, and then put the prybar there, and hit the end w/a mallet as hard as you can... then it'll hopefully pop all the way out.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:18 PM
vassil3427

Originally Posted by dkgrnaccord
I dont see how starting the car and putting it in neutral would work? It turns freely as it is. The only thing that I can think of doing is to rebuild this portion of the shaft with the bearing cup where it is???????? The male splines must be seized tho the female splines???
Because the one little half washer thing(locks it in) is locked in right now, and by doing what I said I believe it may free it up...

I'm gonna ask my dad about this tomorrow, cause we had the similar problem on an older civic...
Old 01-02-2005, 05:02 PM
ocliffie

Default Accord auto trans axle

I did a '90 Accord auto trans. I rocked the opposite shaft/tire back and forth (forward/reverse) while using a pry bar. Can't remember if trans was in N or D. Came right out after that but not after beating on it for a couple of hours. Had the same problem when installing new shaft and used same technique and when right in.