Notices

Water Pump or Water Gate? Do you know which?

Old 12-25-2004, 12:15 PM
jamming2win

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump or Water Gate? Do you know which?

I brought my car (2000 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder with 64K miles) into a service station for tires and mentioned I recently found a small puddle of anti-freeze in my garage. When I returned to pick up my car I was told I needed a water pump and they strongly suggested I leave the car (and they would repair it after Christmas day). I told them I will get it done but I would have to bring it back because I needed it. They wanted me to pay on the spot but I told them I will do that when I return. The service person excused himself for a minute and went in to the repair area and then returned. I paid for the tires and went out to get the car but didn't see it (it was in the lot when I pulled up). I went back inside and the service person was surprised my car was not in the lot and so asked someone if it was in the repair shop. It was there and I was told the mechanic brought it in because he thought I was leaving it (it was hours before closing so I don't think that is why it was brought in). I couldn't see the car or the mechanic but I did wait another 3-4 minutes before the car was driven back outside. It all seemed odd to me and before they order the part this Monday I was hoping someone could tell me how I can tell if it needs a water pump. I did look under the car and saw some anti-freeze surrounding the head of a bolt which could have been a pump bolt (I use to know what a water pump looked like and where to find it but that was back in the good ole days). Should I try just tightening the bolt (that is if I can somehow get to it)? Do they have anything these days that can be put into the radiator to stop the very slow leak? Anybody have any idea how big of a bill this will likely lead to (it looks like a big job)?
Old 12-28-2004, 03:53 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

Just FYI, the water pump is normally replaced when timing belt is replaced; I think @ 90k miles on your car. Check the manual.

Don't put stop-leak in it. A bad seal is the likely culprit. It might be a little early for the belt, but it might make sense to do it now too, just to keep from having it all torn down again in 30k miles. I used to know the cost on that job, but it's been a while since I paid labor on anything. I would think that the bill should be somewhere between $400-500 at the dealer.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:53 PM
VPUPPY

i'd say get a second opinion. could be a hose or radiator also. i just don't trust shops anymore, too many times have they tried to rip me off.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:30 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VPUPPY
i'd say get a second opinion. could be a hose or radiator also. i just don't trust shops anymore, too many times have they tried to rip me off.
:werd: Went to get my inspection sticker today and they wanted $350 to replace my front brake pads, replace my alt/AC belt, and change my rear license plate frame bulb before they'd give it to me. Yet I had taken the front right wheel off 2 days before, inspected the front pads myself, and found them to have at least 2-3 more months left. I also asked him to point out the crack in the belt that he claimed was there and he said that it was only visible from underneath the car. Yeah okay. Well, my money's only visible from long distances. Right after I told him where he could shove the inspection sticker, he told me I had to pay $22 anyway for the emissions test that they had done and I had passed
Old 12-28-2004, 09:39 PM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really doubt that a new water pump is necessary with only 65k. just with the information u just gave us i would never go back there. a good shop will never take money in advance and will never ask you to leave the car over the holidays just park in there. i trust no stupid shop anymore i am going thru hell righ now all because they couldnt do a stupid oil change right. if ur water pump is out u should just do the full tune up since it already has 65k and if is true the pump is out then who knows what else can go out. i change water pump and all that at around 70k+ and i did it because the manual says to do it but i never had a problem with anything before. yr96
Old 12-29-2004, 03:57 AM
VPUPPY

ya, some shops are known to "borrow" customers cars when they get left over on holidays and days the shops is closed.