Old 12-25-2004, 12:15 PM
jamming2win

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump or Water Gate? Do you know which?

I brought my car (2000 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder with 64K miles) into a service station for tires and mentioned I recently found a small puddle of anti-freeze in my garage. When I returned to pick up my car I was told I needed a water pump and they strongly suggested I leave the car (and they would repair it after Christmas day). I told them I will get it done but I would have to bring it back because I needed it. They wanted me to pay on the spot but I told them I will do that when I return. The service person excused himself for a minute and went in to the repair area and then returned. I paid for the tires and went out to get the car but didn't see it (it was in the lot when I pulled up). I went back inside and the service person was surprised my car was not in the lot and so asked someone if it was in the repair shop. It was there and I was told the mechanic brought it in because he thought I was leaving it (it was hours before closing so I don't think that is why it was brought in). I couldn't see the car or the mechanic but I did wait another 3-4 minutes before the car was driven back outside. It all seemed odd to me and before they order the part this Monday I was hoping someone could tell me how I can tell if it needs a water pump. I did look under the car and saw some anti-freeze surrounding the head of a bolt which could have been a pump bolt (I use to know what a water pump looked like and where to find it but that was back in the good ole days). Should I try just tightening the bolt (that is if I can somehow get to it)? Do they have anything these days that can be put into the radiator to stop the very slow leak? Anybody have any idea how big of a bill this will likely lead to (it looks like a big job)?