Notices

bad valve gasket mimics bad rings?? (oil on plug wire)

Old 12-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Luv2reV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad valve gasket mimics bad rings?? (oil on plug wire)

Still trying to find my elec problem, but I noticed when I pulled out number #3 wire it was coated with oil. I knew I always smelled something. A mechanic on my route said the valve gaskets break near the spark plug ( that little circle) & thats how oil is getting in there. Has this happened to anyone? I would think 100k is a bit low for a hondas rings to go bad on one piston...
Old 12-22-2004, 02:17 AM
SmutWanter
"Made to Please"

The gasket ring in that particular cylinder may in fact have warped. This happend to me and a simple fix is to buy gasket sealer (black goop in a metal tube) to seal up the area that is approximately 1/4 inch below the top of the cylinder. The sealer takes about 10 minutes to dry. At this point there is a good chance that you may have oil on your spark plug too, and you can use a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol to clean it off properly. Don't forget to check the gap before you put the plug back in too.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:18 AM
VPUPPY

ya, around each spark plug tube(forgot the name) there is a little gasket(looks like a ring) that goes around that tube, between the head and the valve cover. its called a spark plug grommet and its like 2-3 bucks for each. you need to remove the valve cover to replace these, which means you need to replace the valve cover gasket also. some auto stores sell a kit or you can buy them seperate(valve cover gasket, spark plug grommets) from the dealer. its actually not that odd for this to happen on cars cuz over that 100k that rubber has been subjected to heat so it just goes brittle.