Notices

Accord 98 brake pads and rottors question

Old 12-19-2004, 04:45 PM
James281

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord 98 brake pads and rottors question

I wonder if anyone in here heard of such problem. I have an accord sedan 98 v6, i just changed the brake pads and both front rotors around 9-10 months ago but now it both worned out again when i took back to the shop thinking just changing the pads.

The guys that fix my accord said he using honda oem parts, i know he use the pad from honda because i saw the box, but the rotors is from some brand called "mountain" i wonder if that really is OEM part for honda. When i was in his shop he also show me a pair of rotors brand "Brembo" i believe this is a german brand. not sure how good compare to the other brand "mountain" and he said he would charge the same price if i take brembo.. anyway he were using "mountain" brand instead.

He also told me its really honda design and the way the brake pad grab onto the rotors to get better braking.. that's why when you changed the pads usually you must changed the rotors too.

that seem really odd to me how honda really design this because i guess every 10 months or so i have to waste around 350+ for just brake???
Old 12-19-2004, 06:16 PM
DarkSideAccord
Chidori-chan :love:

brembos r good... $350 for brake pads and rotors?? damn... buy the parts and do it urself... $90 shipped for brembo blanks and Axxis Metal Masters (front only) ... i'm learning to replace the rotors myself and it ain't bad..
Old 12-19-2004, 06:46 PM
jschmid

If the pads are OEM, and you drive normal, there is no way they should be worn down already. My OEM pads lasted 45K and my rotors lasted 70K.

Never heard of "Mountain". Brembo's are good, but for daily use make sure you just get the Brembo OEM replacement rotors, or "Brembo Blanks" (Avoid any drilled rotors for daily use). I replaced my OEM rotors with Brembo blanks, they have been great. You should be able to get the pads for $45-50 at a dealer, cheaper online, around $30. Brembo blanks should be about $50-80 online. DIY to save yourself some money
Old 12-21-2004, 05:32 AM
James281

thanks guys for the response, i would love to do this myself but dang i am just suck at with this stuff, i wonder if there is any guide that show you how to do this correctly, because i don't want to screw around and later the brake mess up even more.

thanks for the hint, i guess i just got jacked ... i've trusted this guy and bring my car there whenever i got problem, but i guess he lost a loyal customer.

maybe i should buy parts online and just bring to shop to let them do it and pay for labor.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:27 AM
jschmid

Originally Posted by James281
thanks guys for the response, i would love to do this myself but dang i am just suck at with this stuff, i wonder if there is any guide that show you how to do this correctly, because i don't want to screw around and later the brake mess up even more.

thanks for the hint, i guess i just got jacked ... i've trusted this guy and bring my car there whenever i got problem, but i guess he lost a loyal customer.

maybe i should buy parts online and just bring to shop to let them do it and pay for labor.
Well if you are interested in doing regular maintance work yourself to save money, you should invest in a factory service manual. They are a bit pricy ($70) but will pay for itself in the first work you do yourself. www.helminc.com

For the brakes, I posted some pictures and diagrams a while back in this thread:
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=44940

Also refer to rotor info in this post:
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ghlight=brakes
Old 12-21-2004, 08:33 AM
James281

Thanks a bunch for the info, i'll look online for a pdf of that manual if i find it i'll share it here