Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do I need to buy a timing belt "kit" for a 6thG F23A1 AT

Old 11-09-2004, 04:33 PM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do I need to buy a timing belt "kit" for a 6thG F23A1 AT

Well... I've delayed the timing belt change around 11,000 miles (I'm at 116,XXX) and everytime I hit redline in the back of my mind is the timing belt needing to be replaced. I finally have about $400 that I can spend on this, parts and labor and the local dealer quoted me at $630. My local mechanic quoted me $450 telling me only $100 of that was labor so I'm looking to pick up the parts for cheaper than he can.

What all should be replaced at 105,000, well actually 116,000 heh. Where can I buy these parts from a good dealer online who is cheap?
Old 11-09-2004, 04:39 PM
2kAccord

tasauto.com has them, they carry parts for 94-02 accords
Old 11-09-2004, 05:43 PM
RKV

ahmotor.com has decent prices, hparts.com is cheap i heard also(but they are under construction the website), and majestic honda people say have good prices, which is hondaautomotiveparts.com, i guess you need the timing belt, water pump and etc. check ebay also, i've seen some of the parts we need for a timing belt change for pretty cheap. i believe we also have a sponsor on here, prostreet something who sells timing belts, not sure if they are OE replacement specs or a racing style version, if thats the proper terminology.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:25 PM
kenton

Save money by purchasing a timing belt package that uses all Genuine Honda parts. All parts in the kit are genuine Honda components. This package includes the timing belt, balance shaft belt, water pump, power steering belt and compressor belt. These are the most common parts replaced when servicing the timing belt. The timing belt should be replaced every 70,000 miles. Fits 98-02 engines only.

Is that all I need? It's $144, a lot cheaper than the mechanic quoted me for parts. Do I need a timing belt adjuster spring, balance shaft belt and shaft tensioner, a belt adjuster, belt tensioer, any of that????
Old 11-09-2004, 09:10 PM
bubbrubb

Yeah, i have a '00 accord and im @ 112k miles.I was thinking about buying all the stuff to change my timingbelt too. But people have been telling me that you need a 'timing gun' and other stuff to change out the belt, and you should be very careful when you change it. But if you do it right, and get everything up and working, post a thread here so i know exactly what to do too.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:24 PM
kenton

Oh I'm just buying parts for my mechanic because I know I can get them cheaper! LOL I'm not doing it
Old 11-09-2004, 09:50 PM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finding the parts is not the problem, the most important part is the mechanic make sure is done righ and he has done timing belt etc ... and other accords before urs. labor for the entire kit that needs to be replace when replacing timing belt is around $200 -$300 from a goood mechanic. theaccordstore is where i got all my stuff, call them up they will tell u every key component u need and all for a good price and everything genuine honda from japan. make sure u get everything from seals to water pump to any type of fluid. better do all at once and done righ if u need to save a little more then do that and try not to drive the car too much u never know.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:21 AM
klnyc

Dang you guys drive for living or what? My '99 'Cord has only 21K on it
Anyway, my buddy has a '96 Accod with 135K miles on it and this bad boy still kickin(for now). I told him change the time belt now or pay the price later on.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:19 AM
RKV

Originally Posted by kenton
Save money by purchasing a timing belt package that uses all Genuine Honda parts. All parts in the kit are genuine Honda components. This package includes the timing belt, balance shaft belt, water pump, power steering belt and compressor belt. These are the most common parts replaced when servicing the timing belt. The timing belt should be replaced every 70,000 miles. Fits 98-02 engines only.

Is that all I need? It's $144, a lot cheaper than the mechanic quoted me for parts. Do I need a timing belt adjuster spring, balance shaft belt and shaft tensioner, a belt adjuster, belt tensioer, any of that????
where did you find that price at?
Old 11-10-2004, 07:03 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Make sure your mechanic is cool with that... Probably the reason why his labor is cheap, is that he's counting on profit from the parts?