Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Generation Seatbelt

Old 09-06-2004, 06:04 AM
marcuswilson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th Generation Seatbelt

I was lucky enough to pick up my mom's old 91 Accord EX. The body is in excellent condition and it runs great with only 325K on it!! The only thing that irritates me about the car is the automatic seatbelts. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can replace these seatbelts or at least get them to operate correctly? I know seatbelts can be pretty costly, but since I got a pretty sweet deal on the car (FREE!!), I'm not too worried about it. Thanks for your help!!

By the way, I'm interested in customizing this car and making it look and run better, so if you've got any suggestions on where I should start first, please let me know. I know I'll be spending a lot of time searching through all the old messages here for info on 91 accords.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:12 AM
axemansean

You can probably take it to a shop and put in a seatbelt from a 93 Accord (same generation but no auto seat belts on the LX). Most junkyards will sell you the whole seatbelt kit for less than a hundred bucks. Your engine is coming towards the end of its life span, either get it fully rebuilt or swap in one with lower miles. (Yes its a Honda, but 325k is still a lot of miles.) Check for rust, Honda rust is a common issue on older cars so make sure you don't have any and if you do get it fixed.

Congrats and welcome to HAN.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:24 AM
marcuswilson

Thanks for the quick response. I'll have to swing by some junk yards later on this week to see about getting seatbelts ASAP.

You are spot on about the rust. I just had the car in the shop getting because the trunk was leaking something awful and they showed me how the channels from the moonroof lead straight back to the rear quarter panels where almost all of the older honda's rust. I hope to get this taken care of real soon.

The engine in this car was rebuilt not too long ago, so it's only really got about 80K on it. That being said, I still would like to do some sort of engine swap. My goal is to build a sleeper. I'm not interested in puttting a huge coffee can on the exhaust so that I wake up my entire neighborhood. This has still got to be somewhat of a family car, but I'd still like to enjoy my commute after dropping the kids off at day care!!
Old 09-06-2004, 07:20 AM
axemansean

For an exhaust go with the Greddy EVO, its a very quiet one and doesn't make your passengers hate you.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:41 AM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

the automatic seatbelts are the best part in owning a 4th gen, lol.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:36 PM
93EXaccord
Engines hate me!

umm... dosen't honda replace seat bealts for free... i know i was having seat belt trouble and my local dealer said honda covered seat belts under warrenty for the life of the car, and as long as the seat belt isn't cut i.e (man made cuts) its completly free

and i just got that done like 4 months ago cause mine where crapping out
GL and welcome to HAN :thumbup:
Old 09-07-2004, 05:58 PM
vassil3427

Originally Posted by 93EXaccord
umm... dosen't honda replace seat bealts for free... i know i was having seat belt trouble and my local dealer said honda covered seat belts under warrenty for the life of the car, and as long as the seat belt isn't cut i.e (man made cuts) its completly free

and i just got that done like 4 months ago cause mine where crapping out
GL and welcome to HAN :thumbup:
This man speaks the truth, Honda will fix them for free.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:34 PM
scoby41

Is that true even if you don't have the original seats? I bought my car ('91 civic dx sedan) with si's but got pulled over and got a "fix-it ticket" for not having a chest belt. I got working seats from a '90 sedan (i think)... the automatic seatbelts don't work and the seatbelt light is on when the car is off!