Notices

Performance exhaust for Accord Coupe

Old 09-02-2004, 07:49 AM
eternal
00AccordCoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance exhaust for Accord Coupe

I'm looking at getting a stainless steel exhaust for my Accord. The question is whether a cat-back system by itself is worthwhile or should I be looking at a complete system?

I'm looking for a long-lasting exhaust system with some performance gains over stock.

Over here in the UK there is a company called Powerflow who basically build custom systems for you out of stainless steel. So another question - would a dual exit system be worthwhile or should I just stick to a single rear muffler and single exit from this?

Any ideas / views / opinions etc. much appreciated!

TIA
Old 09-02-2004, 07:53 AM
flyromeo3

I was already getting ready to type...> use the search feature but by your name I hope your female cause im going to be nice enough to answer your question. = )

If you want performance gains I would definitely start the upgrade from the headers, all the way back to your muffler.

I've heard if you get an aftermarket header and keep the stock cat and muffler you will eventually blow up the stock cat.

If you just get a catback system and keep the original header I believe you wont get the full potential of the system.

If I were in your shoes I would go and buy a header, and a magnaflow cat back exhaust. ( Has a stock look to it but not stock performance ).
Also if you have the 4cyl version with the single muffler, stick to the single muffler as the dual will make u lose a bit of back pressure.

btw... never heard of powerflow......maybe magnaflows affiliate?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:10 AM
phoenixitc

Ah ha!! He goes easy on the girls, but nails the boys when he wants. Talk about PW'd!

Just cuz you ain't heard of them don't mean they don't exist. A "search" on the Internet would have helped
http://www.powerflow.uk.com/

TIA: Consider enhancing the intake also if you go with an exhaust upgrade. This will add a couple more HP and overall performance. Good luck!

Jeez... there's something about how that model is holding those pipes that just makes me feel all woozy!
Old 09-02-2004, 09:43 AM
eternal
00AccordCoupe

Whoops! Sorry guys - the 'TIA' was 'Thanks In Advance'. Sorry to disappoint but I'm not a girl, so I guess I should crawl away and do a search :chuckles:

I did a search here and saw comments that it's not worth doing anything with the standard cat as this has a high flow rate anyway, so perhaps this applies to the headers too?

Perhaps of more concern is that whether the front pipe section from the down pipe to the cat are susceptible to rusting and thus needing replacement? I've never heard of headers needing replacing and a 'complete' system seems to include piping from the bottom of the header downpipe up to and including the rear muffler and tail pipe. As the cat has what looks like an aluminum shield I guess this won't ever rust either?

phoenixitc : I have a short ram intake fitted which does make the throttle response smoother, don't know about power gains although these will be small anyway.

I think maybe a cat-back system will do what I'm looking for without spending a fortune.

flyromeo3 : thanks for the advice on sticking with the single muffler and exit, much as I thought the dual exits are good for V6 engines and ricers

Thanks guys for your help!
Old 09-02-2004, 09:46 AM
eternal
00AccordCoupe

Sorry - reading through my last post - I don't mean that V6 owners are ricers - just that putting dual exits where there's no performance gains is ricey.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:45 AM
flyromeo3

:doh: damn.....now that i know your not a girl....USE THE SEARCH FEATURE.:exnbp:

pheonix -- I love girls to much to be mean to them..:yumyum:
Old 09-02-2004, 11:51 AM
atlaccordguy
Blah h22a Blah

Hahahahahahahaah owned!