Notices

Thinking of buying an Accord and looking for owner experiences

Old 07-28-2004, 10:26 PM
pjk208

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my EX V6...it's got all the nicest features...only problem i have lately is the transmission...be careful when shopping around...def ask for maintence/repair records esp from dealership...the transmission problem is mainly my fault...harsh driving + use of non honda ATF = not good for tranny.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:26 AM
CD7junky

The only thing I would advise is to be careful who you buy from. You could end up with an Accord that has had the piss ran out of it.

However, if you buy from a trusted dealer/person, Accords are the shit. My only major problem thus far with my 1997 SE coupe was my radiator went tits up on me last summer. I got my car with 70K on it, it is almost at 100K now with the radiator giving up at about 90K. People can say what they want about Hondas, but I plan on driving my Accord until it won't drive anymore.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:39 AM
TenaciousTires
Registered Luser

IMO, if you plan on getting one with an automatic...don't buy between the years of 1998 and 2000. The entire 6th gen Accord (98-02) were plagued with bad transmission carrier bearings that cause premature failure, but the 01-02 models were covered under a 7 year/100k mile warranty. 5th gen Accords (94-97) had jerky transmissions, but they were mechanically sound. I own a 1996 Accord w/ F22 engine and 4-speed auto w/ a couple thousand miles short of the big 130k and the ONLY parts I've replaced outside of general maint. have been the cv axles/joints (only because the rubber boots had split) and the water pump when I did the 90,000 mile timing belt service. Replace your boots at the first sign of cracking, and you should never have to replace the joints/axles. Aside from the upper/lower radiator hoses (which I replaced at 120k) New distributor cap/rotor, spark plugs/wires ( In which Honda picked up the tab to honor the 14 year/150k emissions warranty) accesory belts (also replaced at 90k miles) Battery (Original finally gave up after 95k miles) and PCV valve (Original replaced at 115k) everything under my hood is factory original. The car has never failed to start or broken down. It's been on countless cross country trips and still looks/runs like a relatively new car. I've owned it since it had 45,000 miles. I've been using Mobile 1 10W30 synthetic since 50k miles and change it every 3-5k miles. Transmission fluid gets drained and refilled every 30-50k miles and air filter gets replaced every 10-15k. That's it. If you are looking to get a manual...Honda makes some of the best in the industry, and I'd recommend a newer model such as a 98-02...which were built more solidly than the 5th gens and used better materials on the inside. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:02 AM
ak3883

If you are looking for a 6th gen, esp. a 98 or 99 be sure to ask about the tranny, if it has been replaced or not. If not be especially sure that it shifts smooth and works as it should.

I just bought my 98 EX-V6 6 weeks ago, I was totally oblivous to the problems with the transmissions from that year, I really lucked out that mine had happened to be replaced only 3k miles ago. Guess it's good that I got it from a good Honda dealership, whose prior owner had everything done there, including oil changes, so they knew that car front to back. It's a very clean car, well maintained I can tell. After doing some research on it, i realized this was a very common problem.

I plan on keeping mine for at least a few years, I got a pretty decent car for a senior in college!
Old 07-29-2004, 07:49 AM
skabone69

I've got 109,000miles on my 99EX 5spd and the only major thing I had to get done were the timing belt, and a wheel bearing. other than that the usual stuff. I replaced my clutch around 90,000miles which I thought was pretty decent. if you get a 6th gen 5spd the only problem you might run into is a mis aligned shift fork. when shifting into 5, if your not gentle your'll grind 5th every time. I'm gentle on 5th gear and its very rare that I grind it. I've heard of syncros needing to be replaced but that depends on the driver and how hard on the car you are. I'm hard on my car and the syncros are still fine.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:51 AM
92hondaaccord

92 honda accord with 196k. Bought it at 90k. We have done routine maintenance (Timing belts every 90k, and your regular stuff plugs, wires, cap, rotors, fluids). We had a major transmission issue at 153k on the automatic that cost $1700 from a transmission tech. That sucked, but the engine is solid and doesn't burn any oil or make any knocking noises. Oh and the radiator had to be replaced at 140k. Just replaced a thermostat.

Great car, very reliable, quite a bit of road noise, get 32 mpg on the highway.

If I had to do it all over again we would buy a 4 door, 4 cylinder, with the 5spd trans. I hate the automatic. Prior to the major overhaul it never worked totally correct, plus it is integrated into everything and makes working on the car that much more difficult.

The 6th gen versions with a 5 spd would be nice. I don't buy brand new because I am cheap skate and these things run forever. Buy one with 75k on it and drive it till it dies.

If you do get a 6th gen automatic, change the tranny fluid every 15k. This is recomended by out tranny mech who is the only mechanic I have ever thought was honest and knows what he was doing. How many call you up and tell you the original price he quoted for a repair was wrong (lot's to tell you it cost more), only to tell you it will be $500 less. SWEET!!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 08:53 AM
TenaciousTires
Registered Luser

A friend of mine replaced the tranny fluid in his 01 Accord every 15k-30k to avoid problems, but they finally caught up to him at 112,000 miles (12k beyond the warranty period) never the less, Honda honored the warranty as 'good will' and covered half of the cost for a new transmission. He now has just over 120,000 miles and everything is running smoothly. He travels for business, so most all of his miles are highway cruising.

Radiators tend to be the weakness of Accords...mine is still original at almost 130k (knocking on wood) Fortunately they arent too expensive and are relatively easy to replace. What are everyone's recommendation for a good quality radiator replacement? As far as alternators, Very seldom have I heard of a Honda alternator (Nippendenso?) fail before 10 years or 200k miles...unless it was a Delphi unit used on the V6s (GM uses Delphi also)
Old 07-29-2004, 09:00 AM
92hondaaccord

The problem with the 6th gen transmission fix under warranty is that Honda puts the same transmission back into the car...meaning that you will be seeing problems again before the life expectancy of the car is up. I have a problem with 2 trannies needing fixed before 200k. That is just too many.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:09 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup stay away from the 6th gen u never know which has the bad luck."98-00"
i have 5th gen 80k never anything wrong other than regular maintnance.
my friend gm suv with 60k gone with 2 trams and just broke down the other night after work at 1am. me i was happy to be driving my accord travel anywhere there is road and gas.
we know about the engine but the exterior\notice how any old accord looks so much better than any other brand car same yr.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:06 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 99 Accord Coupe LX-V6 with 149k miles and the only things replaced, aside from prevanttive maintenance (like spark plugs, timing belt, water pump, etc) are:

1) EGR ($200 but the Honda dealer did it for free at 40k)
2) 02 Sensor (like $150 at 40k)
3) All four struts (replaced with CL-S shocks at 140k, slightly used for $150)
4) Upper right front ball joint (just bought a new one on EBay for $62 shipped with a new upper control arm)
5) Transmission (been shifting harshly for 30k miles, slipping for 5k miles, irritating reverse noise for 3k miles and the 3rd gear clutch has been almost completely worn out for the last couple weeks. That'll cost about $1200 to replace it with a newer tranny)

That's pretty damn good for an Accord that's had the shit beaten out of it by me more than a few times. The engine is in perfect condition, and I can get 30 MPG if the humidity is low, temp is below 75 and I don't go above VTEC.

You can't beat an Accord from any standpoint. I almost bought an Olds Alero and that would've been a huge mistake...I can't imagine how many problems I'd be having with that at 150k. Sometimes I go to Alero boards and they have problems reaching 100k without major maintenance. Plus my resale value is still around 6 or 7 grand...with an Alero I'd have a $3500 car.

Somehow my car still feels like new, except for the tranny. After 150k miles I swear she drives better with a nice set of tires than my uncle's 02 Accord that has 40k miles.