Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying an Accord and looking for owner experiences

Old 07-30-2004, 06:11 AM
skabone69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by strykernyc
yup stay away from the 6th gen u never know which has the bad luck."98-00"
i have 5th gen 80k never anything wrong other than regular maintnance.
my friend gm suv with 60k gone with 2 trams and just broke down the other night after work at 1am. me i was happy to be driving my accord travel anywhere there is road and gas.
we know about the engine but the exterior\notice how any old accord looks so much better than any other brand car same yr.
I think you need to clarify, there are no issues with the manual transmissions 6th gens. the 98-00 are fine in manual form. you make it sound like the 6th gen accord is junk, and its not. its a great car, and the auto trannys are known to have some issues but other than that what else is wrong with the car? the car is not a lemon.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:27 PM
cwa107

Coming from a GM, you're in for a treat. It's apples to oranges. If I could pick one word for my Accord, I'd choose "competence". Smooth, comfortable, quiet, no rattles, no nit-picks, no complaints. This is an appliance on wheels. I drive a lot of GM rentals since my company is contracted with Enterprise. I have to say, I feel like I'm getting into a luxury car as I get out of a Cavalier, Lumina, or Impala (which I like to call an Impale-ya) and into my Accord. I've never owned a GM, so I can't speak for reliability issues with their cars, but from the too-springy seat cushions to the rubbermaid interiors, the Accord just feels like a better made car all around. Every GM I've ever driven seems like it was designed by a commitee, filled with design compromises and heavily influenced by the bean counters. But to each his own, test drive one, try to compare objectively, see what you think... and if you're hesitant about buying a "foreign" car, consider this - the Accord probably has more American parts content than most of the GMs out there, and it's made right here...
Old 07-30-2004, 05:16 PM
dazco

rubbermaid interiors
Exactly ! Thats exactly what they look like to me. Not just GM, but most every american car i've been in. The detail of the dash and other interior parts and the materials used look cartoonish. When i get into either of my friends chevy and ford trucks they look cheezy after being in my civic. Honda parts look like they were carved out with a lazer by comparison. I'm all for buying american, but not when you get so much less for your money, which has always been how i've felt since i first started driving more years ago than i care to admit. My friend payed 30k for his silverado after fees and financing. yet he has 10k less miles on it than my civic and already had i think 3 mechanical issues. I've driven hondas since the 80's and really can't think of any problems i've had with any of them other than normal wear and tear.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:00 PM
REW89

Originally Posted by jschmid
How old of an Accord are you considering?

You'll find that in general Honda cars will be much more reliable and less maintenance than GM cars. I've had some GM products, and my entire family has GM stuff, but my Accord has been great. I've had no problems whatsoever with my '99 Accord sedan, 78K miles so far.

Before 80K miles...besides oil and brakes...you'd do tranny fluid every 30K, air filter, AC filters, plugs (unless they are platinum you can get away with longer), and you might do cap and rotor and wires, but probably not neccessary.

My stock brake rotors lasted 70k miles, pads about every 30k miles.

Tough to beat in the low maintenence category.
Thanks. I am looking a a new one or one only a few years old. Thanks for the information. Bob
Old 07-31-2004, 01:07 PM
REW89

A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR THIS INFORMATION. I will be looking a a 2004 or at least a 2001 or later. I also will be looking for an auto. You all about got me convinced...............Thanks again.

Bob
Old 07-31-2004, 08:41 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

The '03 Accords have had a few problems, notably the brake issue. The '04s seem to have had the bugs worked out. I am happy with my '04. (14k miles) The power is ample for a 4 banger, and the manual shifter works perfectly. The only thing I've noticed that I don't like is the lack of visibility. My wife's '96 has much better visibilty, in fact she was uncomfortable with driving mine at first. It's a learning curve though, I'm somewhat used to it now.

Any year model you get will be a solid car, but watch out for the Auto trans. issues the others described.

My parents have a '93 Accord auto., and my 73 y.o. dad says it's probably the best car he's ever had. (He was a Ford driver for many years)

My best friend has an '02 auto., and has had no trouble with it.

My bro. has a '00 auto. and loves his car.

Our '96 auto. has been a very good car so far. (100k miles)
Old 07-31-2004, 08:49 PM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

I like my Accord. I have yet to replace anything that would normally need replacing (the timing belt/water pump, and oil changes, air filter, what not). It surprises people that it has 104k on it since everything has held up well. Usually you get worn looking upolstry but it doesn't seem to be the case with my car. Everything works as was designed.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:38 AM
TenaciousTires
Registered Luser

I almost bought an Olds Alero and that would've been a huge mistake>>>

How so? My g/f drives a 99 Grand Am (essentially the same car as the Alero) w/ 3.4 V6 and 88k miles. It's quick, relatively fun to drive and the only repair it's required was a Delphi alternator (same unit used in the V6 Accords) at 60k. The interior trim is cheap and the resale value has, well, what resale value? But it's not that bad of a car, period. IMO, the reliability and quality standards of American manufacturers has been improving significantly in the last 5-10 years....and continues to get better.

I just rolled 50,000 HARD miles on my T/A. This car gets the crap beaten out of it every time I take it out... and yet is running stronger/smoother than ever. So far I've had to replace the factory battery, set of tires, 02 sensor and brakes. The car still feels very solid, unlike it's predecessors. Again, the interior is cheap in some areas and the car in itself is based on 30 year old technology...but it's not as awful as some people claim it to be. What the American manufacturers (or any automobile manufacturer for that matter) built in the 1970s, 80s and part of the 90s is by no means a reflection of what they are building today. Unfortunately, they aren't completely out of the hole yet and it will take years for people's perceptions (which differ largely from the actual quality of the product) to change.