Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stiff suspension 04 V6 Accord

Old 05-06-2004, 07:59 AM
thekrohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stiff suspension 04 V6 Accord

Have just taken delivery on a new LX Accord V6 and my only complaint is the stiff suspension system. When I road tested this car it was on a relatively smooth expressway where the stiffness wasn't apparent. Only when I drove on main street in my town which is somewhat less than smooth with many repairs to the asphalt I felt ever jarring bump. I believe if I were to run over a nickle in the road it would be felt. The tire pressure when delivered was slightly over forty pounds per tire and while reducing it to normal (32lbs fr. & 30lbs rear) was an improvement the ride on only slightly bumpy surfaces leaves much to be desired. My question is will I have to live with this or can something be done to improve the ride quality?
thekrohn
Old 05-06-2004, 08:57 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

that's the price you pay for better handling. if you want a smooth cushy ride you bought the wrong car you should have bought a ford taurus or a crown vic if that's the ride you want.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:17 AM
polakatl

:werd: be assured that although u feel more bumps u can avoide accidents better than most cars in the class. Handling of your car is far superior to those with a boat like ride. I don't feel safe in cars that glide over the road and rock back and forth on turns, but thats just my preferance. I hope you get used to it and enjoy the better handling. Try to take a few fast corners and hopefully the stiff ride will reward you.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Samson
chris is the devil

are you really 77 years old?
Old 05-06-2004, 12:22 PM
thekrohn

Clearly, from your replies, I have purchased a little speedster with no springs and shall have to make an adjustment. Perhaps packing foam rubber into the seat of my jeans will better enable me to enjoy all the other enhancements added since my 96V6 trade in which rode better but had considerably less power and acceleration.
Thanks for your input,
thekrohn (age 77 - really)
Old 05-06-2004, 02:57 PM
jschmid

Haha @ thekrohn's reply.

The 96 probably got progressively softer over time due to wear on bushings, etc. And it's probably true that the 7th generation Accord you just bought is tuned more for a balance of ride quality and handling, hence being a bit more firm.

Here on this forum, the majority of members are into increasing the handling of the Accords, and most are willing to have a more firm ride in order to have quicker responding suspension with less body roll and better dampening (by replacing the springs, shocks, anti-sway bars etc with more sporty components). So to the majority of the members the Accord you just bought would feel too soft rather than too firm.

My dad is 68 years old, and he drives a big fat lincoln that handles like a maytag, but he likes the soft ride haha.

Maybe give it some time and see if you end up liking the increasing handling of the new car and are willing to feel a few bumps for it.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:21 PM
IamNemo
You know me...

You said you just got it? Give it a little time to break in and see if you don't like it then. Or, if all else fails, I like your idea about the foam in your jeans! :thumbup:
Old 05-06-2004, 05:35 PM
ODUB
Banned

stiff? man i HATE the 04 V6 suspension. I had to drive one today to go somewhere for work ( i work at a honda dealership) it sucked. the suspension is so soft, and the body roll is ungodly...but i am used to rolling around in my 6th gen dropped 2 inches on GC's and illumina's set on 4 stiffness up front and 5 in the back (1-5 stiffness) i guess that's why im biased haha I actually have heard some complaints from people that are used to driving camrys, maxima's, and other old people cars that handle like bricks on wheels...but it's true, if you want handling, u need stiffer suspension to cut down on body roll...but i've driven a couple hundred accords and stock they are incredibly soft. i think once u get used to it u'll love it. if not, buy a TSX cuz it's prettier anyway
Old 05-06-2004, 07:09 PM
polakatl

way to go ODUB. Camry's and maximas are definately old people cars LOL. ur always helpful man.
I think putting padding under his bum is better than anything u have ever come up with hahaha
Yea go buy a maybach its prettier anyway. he wants a softer ride and out of all the cars u suggest a TSX.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:36 AM
thekrohn

Would like to put foam rubber under all the electronic components as my experience suggests that they dislike vibration almost as much as moisture. Perhaps this problem has been solved or the CD player could not function in the stiff suspension envirenment. Like the car and have no other complaints.
thekrohn

Quick Reply: stiff suspension 04 V6 Accord