Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice: Painting Black Trim and Wheels

Old 03-19-2004, 06:26 AM
GhettoMax
My other car is also slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice: Painting Black Trim and Wheels

I have been wanting to paint my 99 Accord LX Sedan's Black door trim and side skirts to match the factory (Heather Mist Metallic) Paint. I want to do this myself as I finally have a week off from school.

I apologize if this has been discussed too many times before but I need your advice and also apologize for the fact that I had asked this question a long time ago on this very forum but its been a very long time and just want to see if there is any new input on this matter.

1) Are there any DIY Instructions from someone that has done this around here? Any Suggestions/Pointers/Comments

2) What supplies do I need for this project?
(i.e. Sandpaper (what kind/type/qty) primer (kind/type/qty) clear coat (kind/type/qty) etc etc...

and finally!
3) Where can I get these things? Any websites?

Any help on this matter will be truly appreciated!

As a seperate matter I am also thinking about painting my wheels to either match the factory paint or just smoke them a little.

I thank you all in Advance.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:55 AM
AccordinglyDone
Wicked Kustomz, CC

First of all please dont paint your rims to match factory paint that would be very ugly indeed just my .02. If you have an O'reilies they can mix your paint code into a spray can. then jsut sand start ruff then get to about 1500 to 2000 grit with a nice surface. spray in thin very thin coats until satistfied then get a can of clear coat three to four coat let dries and vola good looking car. Just make sure you take your time and be very patient becasue if you mess up because your in a rush then youll take more time sanding again again. Good Luck!! post before and after pics
Old 03-19-2004, 06:57 AM
jschmid

DIY is always a great way to save money, but honestly in this case I would look into buying some EX ones. Even if you were to buy used EX pieces, they would likely be much better than what you can produce if you aren't an experienced painter. Doing a little interior piece, etc is different than a side skirt that is constantly exposed to the elements, etc. It would be one thing if the car was older and parts weren't available in good condition, or if you had a color that didn't come on EX's etc. But on a car as new as yours, I'd get some OEM ones.

I know a guy who got some EX skirts for his car from i got them from http://www.ahmotor.com

He says:
"i dont think they have them listed on the website, i called the local number and talked to one of the guys who worked there. it came to about $200 shipped for both sides."

You can still save some money by installing the parts yourself. The skirts are easy, it's just the screws in the front wheel wells, (and I think a couple underneath) then slide the whole skirt forward and it'll release.

The door moldings are a bit more intensive. They are held on by double sided tape and clips. So you need to remove every door panel, release the clips from inside the doors, and work the tape off to remove the moldings. I have instructions for the door panel removal. I recently removed all mine a few months ago, after you do one and know what's back there, it's easy enough.

Let me know if you want the instructions on the door panels, I'll post them up or PM them to you.

And do it! This will really clean up the looks of you car...I hate that they give us LX'ers the unpainted trim. At least in 01 they got the painted moldings.

Schmiddy
Old 03-19-2004, 06:58 AM
GhettoMax

Default appreciated...

Originally Posted by AccordinglyDone
First of all please dont paint your rims to match factory paint that would be very ugly indeed just my .02.
I agree... I may just make them look a bit smoked so that they will mack the smoked tails and headlights.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:14 AM
jschmid

Check here as well, for all the parts brand new, here's a link.

Skirts are $92 each in your color, moldings are about $40 a peice, so $80 a side. Worth saving up for IMO.

http://www.hondapartssource.com/lute...All&vinsrch=no
Old 03-19-2004, 07:52 AM
JayDub96

I have a 01 Sedan LX and I purchased mine ($60 each I think) from www.ahmotor.com give them a call 1-800-543-5525 they are a little different than the ones I took off.
They seem a little more flared.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:43 PM
parkplace29

jschmid,

can u plz post the instructions on door panel?? or email me

lakeshow3482011@yahoo.com

thanx
Old 03-19-2004, 01:55 PM
GhettoMax

Thanks for the valueable information.

jschmid,

yes please forward me the intructions if you wont mind. I agree with you and I might as well buy the new pieces from those online stores since the paint and products alone seem to cost about the same or even more.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:02 PM
jschmid

Here you go guys:

You really don't need that tool. I used a large flat-head screwdriver wrapped in electrical tape, it worked fine. Get it in there near one of the plastic rivet things, and twist the handle, should pop the first one loose. Once you have one loose, it's pretty easy. Start toward the bottom angle, and then work up and over. Once the snaps are all loose, then lift the panel up and over the door lock knob, and slide it out.

I would recommend removing the mirror trim (small plastic triangle peice) as well to avoid scratching it while putting the door panel back in.

Just pry it off with your finger:

I didn't really take any pics of the front doors without the panels, but here is the rear:

You will need to remove that plastic to access the clips to release them. I haven't done that before, you'll have to figure it out haha. I just had mine off to recover them in leather.

Good luck.