Notices

Resonator: leave or take

Old 01-17-2004, 01:40 AM
aasaa666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resonator: leave or take

Test subject: 95 Accord LX, auto trans.

Today I spent some time afterschool to take off the resonator on my stock intake. They are the ears and antlers that dont go anywhere. The purpose of the resonator is to silence the noises when air is drawn from the intake. After I took it off and reinstalled the intake with out the resonator, yes, I did seal the holes with a cap.

Here are my findings:

1. The low-end power it was know for is now sluggish. It used to be where it shifts on 2-3k rpm, now it shifts on a higher rpm range 3-4k rpm.

2. The auto shifts smoother

3. This kind of performance could be much better on manual

Heres what I don't understand. How the hell ears and antlers that goes no where affect low and high end power?

please, inspire me people. I want the comments, and explanations. I also want your thoughts, solutions, anything related. What you think...its smart or stupid?

dont forget to explain to me how all this happened? I would really appreciate that, because I know nothing about intake system.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:01 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

^i think it's the placebo effect more than anything. i did this mod before i got aem cai and it really only adds sound maybe 1-2hp on the top end. if you live where it's cold you may be seeing hp increases due to the cold temps from the fact you are taking in much cooler air. shifts points will not change, you auto tranny is controlled by a computer and shifts based on rpm and throttle position.

those ears and antlers... are you talking about the plastic snorkel type piece the draws air in from the front and send it to the intake. that is no longer necessary since when you remove the resonator it is now taking air in from the wheel well.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:12 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

on a 4th gen thrs no hp difference or sound difference. I'd say just go for the CAI, the stock tubing in the car is just restrictive.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:00 PM
aux
More Black on Black Crime

i just have a k&n drop in. everythings intact. imo doesnt matter.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:53 AM
Hondapower10a
Avocado Green Appliance

The tubing or ears and antlers you are talking about are for sound reduction. The sound waves that travel back out the intake go in the dead-end and when they bounce back they cancel themselves out to a certain extent. These are a certain length and are tuned to the application. Lots of time and research money go into those little pieces of plastic. Not all cars have them. For example, my 90 Accord had it whereas my 93 did not. Same engine. Go figure.