Notices

Alt swap in 89 Accord DX

Old 01-16-2004, 07:02 PM
Fubarued

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alt swap in 89 Accord DX

Hello from a newbie in Seattle. First off I appologize if this question comes up weekly and you're sick of hearing it.

Now the dumb question(s):
Replacing the alternator in a '89 Accord DX (carbed engine.) The alt is stuffed down behind the engine where it's real fun to get at it. I've got it unbolted and wires disconnected...but how the heck do I get it out of the engine bay and a new one in???
Do I really have to remove the drivers side axle to get the alt out?
If I do indeed need to pull the axle, what's the fasted method in terms of bolts to undo etc.?
Any links to online repair manuals where the proceedure is written up?

Many Thanks
-Fubarued
Old 01-19-2004, 06:45 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Um... Nobody??

I don't know '89 in particular, but it's not unusual on a Honda to remove the axle to get the alternator out. I guess it's easier than taking off the intake manifold... Nice, huh? At least the spark plugs are easy to get at.

Loosen the big axle nut in the hub, BEFORE you lift the car on jackstands, or you'll be knocking the jacks over when you loosen that nut. It'll be hammered into a groove on the axle, so get a centerpunch or a nail or something to open up that part. I use a 4-foot pipe on a breaker bar. If you have to go to the neighborhood garage to have them use an air impact, make sure you tighten it for the drive back home. That nut holds the wheel bearing together.

I've usually gotten the ball-joints apart at their taper pins without too much trouble, then fold the steering knuckle out far enough to pull the end of the axle out from the hub.

Back in '89, did the axles snap into the tranny like they do in newer Hondas? (I'm not sure.) A couple friends have found repair manuals at the public library...

Are the axles really 15 years old? Maybe this is a good excuse to replace them since you have to take one out... At least inspect the rubber CV boots really good.