Notices

Dash issue with a 94 Accord EX

Old 01-13-2004, 08:22 AM
axemansean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash issue with a 94 Accord EX

My speedometer keeps cutting in and out, it just started happening today and all other gauges work. Has anyone encountered a similar problem, I know it could be as simple as a loose wire. But, my experience with Honda says wires don't suddenly get loose.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:39 AM
Baco95
that just ain't baaalla!

Same exact thing happens to me....sometimes it stops working for like 5 minutes at a time....and the odometer stops as well.

I've seen a few threads on this topic but don't remeber reading any clear solutions.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:51 AM
axemansean

My research says its the Vehicle Speed Sensor, 1994 Accords had that issue and a new part costs $200. I doubt Honda will replace the part.

I should have kept my f*cking shitty 89 Cutlass because it seems like I am spending more money on this f*cking Honda everyday.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:44 AM
NewOrleansGuy

Sound like the Variable Speed Sensor - it's on the transmission. My 91 Accord had the same problem. Speedo bounces up and down, run like craps, then something "resets". Green "S" on dash blinks, check engine comes on and then runs fine with no speedo or odometer at all. Common.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:08 AM
axemansean

Originally posted by NewOrleansGuy
Sound like the Variable Speed Sensor - it's on the transmission. My 91 Accord had the same problem. Speedo bounces up and down, run like craps, then something "resets". Green "S" on dash blinks, check engine comes on and then runs fine with no speedo or odometer at all. Common.
That on an auto or manual. 91 Accord is the pre 94 era, you guys had a cable we don't.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:39 PM
NewOrleansGuy

Automatic in my case.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:10 PM
accman

Originally posted by axemansean
My research says its the Vehicle Speed Sensor, 1994 Accords had that issue and a new part costs $200. I doubt Honda will replace the part.

I should have kept my f*cking shitty 89 Cutlass because it seems like I am spending more money on this f*cking Honda everyday.
I have the exact same problem too. The weird thing is that it runs fine otherwise, even when the speedo isn't working (I read in the Haynes manual (which also calls it the Vehicle Speed Sensor) that it produces voltage pulses that are used by the ECM for fuel and shift control). It's been like that for quite a while and had no idea how to fix. I really appreciate finally knowing which part is responsible. According to the manual, it is located on the transaxle. From the picture it looks accessible from the engine bay (below the intake). You can check the VSS by jacking the front up and putting it in neutral. With the VSS in place (connected) turn the ignition to On and backprobe the VSS connector orange wire with volmeter positive lead, and connect negative lead to body ground. While holding one wheel steady, rotate the other wheel by hand. The voltmeter should pulse between zero and 5 volts, otherwise it should be replaced.
I haven't checked mine yet, but I thought I'd pass the info on. When I do get to it, I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again
Old 01-19-2004, 01:20 PM
accman

I have the exact same problem (94 acc ex). The weird thing is that it runs fine even when the speedo is dead (according my Haynes manual, the VSS sends pulses the ECM for fuel and shift control). I'm really grateful to finally know which part is responsible. The Haynes manual also calls it the Vehicle Speed Sensor like you said, and is located on the transaxle. From the picture, it looks accessible from the engine bay (under the intake). To check the VSS, jack up the front, put it in Neutral, and turn the ignition to On. With the VSS in place (connected), backprobe the VSS connector orange wire with a voltmeter positive lead, and connect the negative lead to body ground. While holding one wheel steady, rotate the other by hand. The voltmeter should pulse between 0 and 5 volts; if it doesn't, replace the sensor.
I haven't checked mine yet, just thought i'd pass the info along. WHen i do get to it, i'll let you know what i find. Thanks again :thumbup:
Old 01-19-2004, 01:24 PM
axemansean

Originally posted by accman
I have the exact same problem (94 acc ex). The weird thing is that it runs fine even when the speedo is dead (according my Haynes manual, the VSS sends pulses the ECM for fuel and shift control). I'm really grateful to finally know which part is responsible. The Haynes manual also calls it the Vehicle Speed Sensor like you said, and is located on the transaxle. From the picture, it looks accessible from the engine bay (under the intake). To check the VSS, jack up the front, put it in Neutral, and turn the ignition to On. With the VSS in place (connected), backprobe the VSS connector orange wire with a voltmeter positive lead, and connect the negative lead to body ground. While holding one wheel steady, rotate the other by hand. The voltmeter should pulse between 0 and 5 volts; if it doesn't, replace the sensor.
I haven't checked mine yet, just thought i'd pass the info along. WHen i do get to it, i'll let you know what i find. Thanks again :thumbup:
Mine hasn't thrown any codes yet, like you said it runs fine. Being a manual I am a bit lucky because I know my speed/rpm/gear settings so I can work with those when the speedo stops working.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:09 PM
accman

Mine hasn't thrown any codes yet, like you said it runs fine. Being a manual I am a bit lucky because I know my speed/rpm/gear settings so I can work with those when the speedo stops working.
Yeah, I've learned to really rely on my tach too (I have a manual also).