View Single Post
Old 01-19-2004, 01:24 PM
axemansean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by accman
I have the exact same problem (94 acc ex). The weird thing is that it runs fine even when the speedo is dead (according my Haynes manual, the VSS sends pulses the ECM for fuel and shift control). I'm really grateful to finally know which part is responsible. The Haynes manual also calls it the Vehicle Speed Sensor like you said, and is located on the transaxle. From the picture, it looks accessible from the engine bay (under the intake). To check the VSS, jack up the front, put it in Neutral, and turn the ignition to On. With the VSS in place (connected), backprobe the VSS connector orange wire with a voltmeter positive lead, and connect the negative lead to body ground. While holding one wheel steady, rotate the other by hand. The voltmeter should pulse between 0 and 5 volts; if it doesn't, replace the sensor.
I haven't checked mine yet, just thought i'd pass the info along. WHen i do get to it, i'll let you know what i find. Thanks again :thumbup:
Mine hasn't thrown any codes yet, like you said it runs fine. Being a manual I am a bit lucky because I know my speed/rpm/gear settings so I can work with those when the speedo stops working.