Notices

91 Accord EX Issues

Old 01-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Jmb4000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Accord EX Issues

Okay, I have a few things I'd like to run through. My 1991 Honda Accord EX, with a JDM F20A engine, idles rough. I went to the Honda dealership and they said they couldn't adjust the idle because they had no information on my import engine, and they only did things "By the book". They did, however, perform a valve adjustment, which seemed to make the car idle a little better, but only for little less than a week. It's not too bad; it idles at about 600 rpms, but when the fan kicks on it goes down to about 500 and gets rough and shaky. I was told to adjust the idle, but for the life of me I cannot find the idle screw anywhere. My mechanic told me it was underneath something, and around the corner of somewhere else, and that a special tool was required in order to properly adjust the idle. Can anyone tell me what might be causing the low idling, and how to adjust the idle on a 1991 Honda Accord EX with a F20A engine?

Okay, my next issue seems pretty serious. After letting my car warm up for about 10-15 minutes, I'll get in, only to notice that the inside of my car has a smell like gasoline. Luckily my drivers-side window is off it's track, so it airs out enough for me to smoke a cigarette on the way to work; but what could be causing my car to smell like gas? It's more of a slight odor than it is an overpowering one, but enough that I've become alarmed by it. I don't notice the smell when I am outside the car.

Lastly, when I am driving along, the car runs really smooth at 1500-1700 rpm and above, but when I'm stuck behind gramma Moses or for whatever reason going slowly, the car seems to have a subtle shake to it. Not a stomach-turning gut-wrenching kind of rattling, but just enough for me to go "What the hell is going on with my car!?"

Well, this should be a fun one. I'm new to this message board but I wish to become an active participant. Any help on the aforementioned issues would be greatly appreciated! - Josh
Old 01-12-2004, 04:35 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

i know on the stock engine the screw is right above the air intake inlet but 600 is pretty normal, manual?
Old 01-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Jmb4000

No, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be around 7-800. It definately could use a tuning of the idle. Not sure how to do it. This isn't a stock engine, it's a direct-bolt from Japan (Or something to that effect).
Old 01-12-2004, 05:05 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

no, but do u drive a manual?