Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

checkengine light '91 Accord

Old 11-11-2003, 02:22 PM
v6driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default checkengine light '91 Accord

Hi,

I recently picked up a ’91 Honda Accord. Rides okay except the “CheckEngine” yellow light stays On all the time. How can I turn it off? Is there a code to pull? If so, does anyone know how I can do it? I don’t have the repair manual for the car.

Also, the “brake light” stays On. I noticed that one brake bulb was missing and replaced it yesterday. All the brake lights are working fine now but the “brake light” still stays On. Does anyone know what this might be?

On my first night out with the car, a state trooper pulled me over saying that the rear lights were off. I noticed that when I turn on the parking lights, the dash lights and rear lights will work fine, but when I turn on the headlights, the dash lights and rear lights will go out. After proving to the trooper that I just got the car, he let me go warning me not to drive at night till I get it fixed. I discovered that with the headlights On, if I turn the light switch back enough, I can get the dash lights and rear lights to come On while the headlight is still On. But it doesn’t take much to knock it off this midpoint and back to only headlight working. Does anyone know what or how to fix this? Salvage yard quote me $65 for light switch. Can it be opened and maybe soldered?

Thanks for any help.

Greg
Old 11-11-2003, 02:26 PM
pirate252

weird about the headlights, but i do have to ask why you would buy a car that had the check engine light illuminated....

But i doubt your check engine light is is related to those electrical problems
Old 11-11-2003, 04:44 PM
guaynabo89

check your brake fliud it also comes on when the level is low.

Electrical bugs are the worse to fix but swapping out the combo switch should be a good start.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:23 PM
uclaccord

u need to get that check engine light looked at/fixed...it's not something u just want to turn off...u can either bring it in to a shop and ask em to jump the ecu...or u can do it urself...not too hard on ur own...on the front passenger side...in the corner...take out the panelling and look for something that kinda looks like a plug...u can jump it by inserting a paper clip or something that conducts electricity into both slots of the "plug"...basically short circuiting...and then u watch the check engine light and watch how it blinks...long blinks correspond to 10...and short to 1...count and add em up...then try search here for check engine codes or check engine light...gl
Old 11-12-2003, 05:02 AM
lingerbw

Sounds, to me, like the combo switch on the steering column is toast. I would start there on the electrical problem. If that doesn't fix it, buy a helms and start tracing circuits. If you have the money, you may just want to bring it to a shop and have them deal with the headache.