Notices

98 Civic window

Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 PM
MostlyShow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found that cleaning and lubricating the tracks with a damp soapy towel followed by silicone spray lube helps a lot. Clean the the track from the top of the door all the way to the bottom, down inside the door. Use the corner of the towel to clean the gunk out of the track. You can get to most of the rails inside the door by removing the interior door panel and reaching inside. Be careful though not to cut yourself on the sharp metal. Lube the track well.
My 98 Civic's drivers window was coming forward when it got to the top of the track causing it to come out of the track and pinch the rubber on the back of the door. I cleaned and lubed the track well.
I also realized that the track is the only thing that locates the window in the middle of the window opening so I also adjusted the front track, behind the side mirror by loosening the nut and moving the track slightly toward the back of the window thus making the tracks tighter on the window. I used a washer to make the nut grip the metal window frame better.
Also, there are two bolts holding the regulator in the middle of the door. The bolt closer to the back of the door can be loosened and moved up and down slightly to better locate the glass. It is a subtle change but I think it might help some of you out there.
Patience, critical thinking and lube. Best of luck.