Notices

Replacing windshield trim/moulding

Old 06-11-2007, 10:46 AM
audrebecca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing windshield trim/moulding

I have a 1996 del Sol, pretty much everything factory original or Honda replacement. The only "after-market" I am aware of is the CD player.

A couple months ago, I noticed that the driver's side windshield trim was coming loose. I kept meaning to take it into the shop, but never got around to it... Finally, one day, the entire piece of trim just tore loose while I was driving down the interstate. Luckily, there doesn't appear to be any damage to clips attached to the car.

I called the Honda dealership, they special ordered a replacement piece of trim, and I picked it up Friday. I figured it would just snap perfectly into place with the little clips, but the trim seemed to have ideas of its own. I didn't want to force it and end up breaking the new piece of trim, so this morning I called my mechanic. My mechanic sent me to the auto glass shop. The auto glass shop is booked, and sent me to another auto glass shop. And the other auto glass shop told me they may have to remove the glass, and would not be responsible if it broke.

Is this right? It doesn't seem like they should have to remove the glass, it looks like the clips will all snap together, I just can't get them lined up just so. Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm looking for a different auto glass shop, since my gut with this one wasn't good, and I've learned to go with my gut. Ultimately, I'd love to get the trim on myself; I'm really fussy about who I trust with my "baby".
Old 06-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Civic2Scooby

they generally put in the trim clips with the adhesive/sealer they use to put in the windshield....if they can't remeove the windshield without breaking it, than that shop sucks my dick.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:28 AM
95LSv
Banded

why the fuck would they have to remove the glass to put the molding in? Since the plastic clips are intact, you can snap it in yourself. Its tough, but I did it on my 93 hatch, just pounded the crap out of it and it snapped right into place.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by 95LSv
why the fuck would they have to remove the glass to put the molding in? Since the plastic clips are intact, you can snap it in yourself. Its tough, but I did it on my 93 hatch, just pounded the crap out of it and it snapped right into place.
if the old strip flew off, chances are the clips are shot. The only way to replace the glass side clips is to remove the windshield.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:10 PM
95LSv
Banded

He said the clips are ok, a few of mine were shot and after pounding it in, it still fit well
Old 06-12-2007, 12:28 PM
MostlyShow

You could try to replace the broken clips on the A pillar, but you would probably have to dig around in the "caulking" and you might create a leak. I had the same problem with my 95 EX with several broken clips on the A pillar. In my case I used a bit of PowerGrab constuction adhesive along with the clips and it locked the trim piece down tight. I figure a broken windshield would be the only thing that would require removing the trim and if that is the case I will replace the broken clips and scrape off the PowerGrab. A little bit of duct tape will hold the trim while the PowerGrab sets up. Please don't judge me because I used PowerGrab and Duct tape in the same post.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:48 AM
audrebecca

Default Thanks everyone!

I called a few other shops after the "not responsible" shop, and finally found a place that seemed to think they could just pop the trim in, no glass removal necessary. They told me I could bring the car in anytime, just call first, but then when I called, they changed their tune and said I would have to schedule an appt (for later in the week). So I started calling around again, and finally, I found a privately owned shop, and the guy told me to come right on over, and he would see what he could do. He got the trim snapped back in pronto, and charged me $10.

He did tell me that if the trim didn't stay in place well (there is one spot where the clip doesn't entirely hook, and it wants to pop up), call him back, and we could replace the clips on the car (being 11 years old, he says they've worn a bit, and two of them are slightly chipped), and use some adhesive too if necessary. The clips on the car just pop in to place on some posts though, so that would be a very simple change out. The biggest hassle would be that I suspect I would have to special-order the clips from the dealership.

He didn't really do anything I hadn't already tried, just jimmied the clips until they all lined up, that bumped the trim into place with his fist. He was just more willing to keep at it than I was; I was afraid I was going to break something.

ETA: On my previous car, the driver's side side mirror got bumped. I stuck in back in place with some boat building epoxy, and some clamps while the epoxy set. Never had a problem with that repair. :-)

Last edited by audrebecca; 06-14-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:05 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

I'm glad you got it worked out.

As I was reading the earlier posts I started thinking the trim flying away might be due to improper placement of the clips that removal of the window could be necessary in order to reseal/caulk the window and set the clips in the correct position.

Glad that wasn't the case
Old 06-17-2007, 12:07 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
they generally put in the trim clips with the adhesive/sealer they use to put in the windshield....if they can't remeove the windshield without breaking it, than that shop sucks my dick.
I wonder if that's Honda/Acura specific (since they use thinner windshields than most) or if that shop just plain sucks, as you put it :reechy:
Old 05-30-2013, 11:15 PM
MostlyShow

I posted earlier with the Powergrab/Duct tape fix. I since have realized that you can, if necessary, remove the clips from round the windshield. It is a bit of a pain but it will work. Now you are ready to reattach your window trim. I bought new clips, the ones that attach to the trim, because most of mine were broken. The trim is now attached and won't come off. Best of luck.