Notices

Charging system gone bad. plz help!!!

Old 08-25-2003, 09:16 PM
KoDamAs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging system gone bad. plz help!!!

Hey guys i have a problem with my battery holding charge or getting charged and can't seem to figure it out. I noticed this awhile ago and figured with my new stereo maybe i was pulling to much power from the alternator and thus not alowing the battery to get charged. Sorry to make a long story about this. I've got new stuff.. bought a 135amp alternator and Optima yellow top battery.

While driving, my turbo timer with built in voltage reading tells me im about 13.8 give or take .3 as long as my car is running i can bump my stereo for hours or keep headlights on etc.

For a little while my battery was working fine. Now if the car is off and headlights on i can see my voltage drop to 12.5 and for every 10-20 secs the headlights are on it drops. 12.4, 12.3, 12.2, etc. until eventually low number voltage below normal battery voltage. Then if i start my car its almost completely dead no battery power.

Today i tried just with the igintion forward and nothing on. Stereo and headlights completely off for about 2-3 minutes. After this i tried to start my car and was so aweful, no power!

So i know my battery needs a charge cause it seems to be dead. But ive already done that myself with a battery charger twice and i know after awhile it will just go dead again.

I was thinking maybe there was a charge relay or bad fuse somewhere, but cant find much info on it. Any suggestions??
Old 08-26-2003, 11:00 AM
KoDamAs

stumped?
Old 08-26-2003, 11:12 AM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe there's a short somewhere draining it.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:53 AM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

What year car? We had a like 89-91 crx with a "charging system" MIL, and we did a DIY ground kit, and it doesn't drain the battery anymore.

-PHiZ
Old 08-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Technodigifreak
Hot-Modder

ummm, sounds like either a bad cell in the battery or a poor ground