Notices

i fuking hate my car

Old 08-08-2003, 05:38 PM
crucial Si
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by hybridhondahatch

1) have you ever jacked up the front end of your car and turned one wheel forward and watch the other wheel spin backward?

that means you have LSD?
Old 08-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

an open differential will do that if you're in gear... or if there's something dragging on the ring gear keeping it from turning...
Old 08-09-2003, 02:21 AM
Import-Tooner
skoooooie!

Originally posted by crucial Si-T
that means you have LSD?
That just means your transmission is working. All honda's will do that.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Originally posted by crucial Si-T
that means you have LSD?
No. You have LSD when you jack the front end up, spin a front wheel once, and it echos hundreds of times while rainbows fly off of it.

But seriously. If it were limited slip, both tires would spin the same way if the transmission is out of gear. Open differentials will spin opposite directions. That's why most hondas do such incredible 1-wheel burnouts.

It sounds to me like just the splines got stripped out. Hopefully it's just from the axle, and not the tranny. Flush the hell out of it because a lot of the tolerances in your gearbox are tighter than a sheet of paper. I'd flush it with 5w-30 a few times, then add 40w until you can get 2 more qts of Honda MTF. I've been running 10w40 with no ill effects for 3 months now. When you're flushing it, if you have an old speaker somewhere with a BIG magnet (the bigger the better), place it near the drain plug while you fill the tranny. Maybe try dragging it from the front of the tranny to the rear a few times before you drain it. A magnetic drain plug wouldn't hurt anything either. I think you can get them from Summit or Jegs if you know your thread pitch.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:48 PM
hybridhondahatch
for that added pep

Originally posted by westcoaststyle
Can you pick me up some paint when you go? I need some Dupi-color semi-gloss black. :thumbup:

maby...

wow jafro your just full of information, i like it . i think im gonna flush the tranny and pick up the new axel ASAP. im so sick of working on cars though, i worked on mine for 3 days than pulled 2 all nighters helping my buddy convert his car to a 5spd from an auto.. what a bitch, and it still isnt done.... im really fed up w/ cars at this point, i just need some transportation.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:44 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Default Re: i fuking hate my car

so my questions are:

1) have you ever jacked up the front end of your car and turned one wheel forward and watch the other wheel spin backward? shouldnt the same sort of thing happen w/ one wheel on the ground, and the axel that is removed should not spin freely?
In my case with my D16z6, if one wheel is on the ground, the other won't turn. I had an Integra LS before and it was the same way, one wheel down and the one in the air wouldn't move.

2) could it possibly be just the axel?
I agree with Andy and think it's just that the axle wasn't in all the way. I'm rather paranoid about that so I always hit the solid edge of the axle closer to the tranny with a rubber mallet to be sure...

I know how you feel about being sick of working on cars BTW. I helped my friend with an auto to manual conversion on his BMW over the course of 3 weeks. It's finished and working fine now but to this day, I'm still sick of working on cars. There are a lot of things I've been putting off on my own car.

Oh, and I too have been running regular motor oil in my transmission since earlier this year.