Notices

Distributor help 5th gen CX/DX

Old 08-06-2003, 06:38 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor help 5th gen CX/DX

My ignition timing sucks. It used to be great with my 8v engine, and now it's hit-or-miss since the 16v was dropped in. I re-used the distributor from the cx engine because it worked, and because the dx distributor got broken to pieces by I don't know who when this engine was pulled. I replaced the cap and rotor, wires and plugs less than 900 miles ago.

I have the plugs gapped to where the cx should be. I set base timing without a timing light, but after several attempts to re-adjust it, I get the same results. I'm not sure if it's burning all the gas because I keep setting off my CEL with a code 1 if I floor it for 5 seconds at low RPMs, and it feels jerky.

I'm wondering if the cx distributor is any different from the dx? Plugs are the same, dimensions are the same. Cap and rotor are the same for both... Anyone have access to this info? Distributors aren't cheap. I am.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:34 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Okay, they're the same. Who knows what's up with my ignition timing... Maybe it's fuel mixture. Time to buy an A/F gauge.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:11 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

nevermind... it looks like it's the injectors. They're not listed with the same part number even though they appear identical. I used my CX injectors instead of the dirty crusty DX set that I got with the motor. I'm running so lean, I hope I still have rings. I bet it's a lot faster once I get these things cleaned and balanced.

Kill this thread.