Notices

Aerodynamics-Bodykits

Old 06-27-2003, 04:20 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerodynamics-Bodykits

Hi guys!
I am lookin for some recommendations for bodykits for a 1993 Civic Coupe DX. I am not looking for the best looking, I am looking for primarily the most aerodynamically sound and the ones that create the least possible amount of drag. If anyone has some suggestions, please let me know ^_^ Thank you!

Sam
Old 06-27-2003, 04:33 PM
CivicRacr

i'd say stock is best for areodynamics IMO, just add a lip kit. As for body kits im not sure which is best for areodymanics. all the kits ive seen are kinda bulky looking especially the rear bumbers like the black window rear, its hella huge
Old 06-27-2003, 04:34 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Seriously? Wow thatll save me some cash =D Thanks alot. Also do you think that with a civic it would be wise to use a rear spoiler to create downforce to help with handling or not?
Old 06-27-2003, 04:42 PM
CivicRacr

a rear wing wont help much on a civic, only if you're driving more then 100mph i'd say. if you want that look then go for it, otherwise its just a waste of money if you're looking for more handling. instead use that money on some good springs and shocks or maybe a rear sway bar. search the forums for which springs and shocks to get.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:43 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Ah, ok. I wasnt so sure. Anyway I will get to searching I suppose ^_^ I'm not really about look I just want performance pretty much, anyway thanks again ^_^ Bye for now.

Sam
Old 06-27-2003, 04:59 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one I'll sell you.... https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...threadid=77350
Old 06-27-2003, 05:14 PM
Tirod

popular aerodynamics.. dont help drag at all.. if anything they hurt it
Old 06-27-2003, 05:38 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

front drive cars dont need wings :eh:
Old 06-27-2003, 08:00 PM
qtiger

Originally posted by Snoopy
front drive cars dont need wings :eh:
:slap:

Back tires need love too. Unless you're a drag strip hoe. :squint: :snoopy:

Lift indirectly reduces traction, so decreasing your car's lift with some aero bits will increase cornering ability at speed, along with some (probably unnoticable under 100 mph) straight line stability.

The key is to select a wing that gives you a good compromise between drag and downforce. Most stock rear spoilers do not create much (if any) noticable drag. However, they are designed to move turbulence away from the rear of the car unlike those enormous aluminum wings on say, BTCC cars. Picture a turbulent area of air behind the "cockpit" area... low pressure forms along the trunkline in the wake of the car. Which produces all sorts of swirling & whatnot. Low pressure above the car + high pressure below the car = lift.

As you move from a stock deck spoiler (Ferio) to more of a wing design (R), the speed at which it is effective is changing. The faster you are going, the less time the passing air has to "settle" behind the cockpit area and, therefore, the taller the wing has to be to catch that high pressure front.

Rake is a different matter, but I'm sure most of you realize that as the angle of the wing increases, you get both more drag and more downforce, until you pass 45 degrees at which point people start wondering what the heck you are thinking.

Using the above as a guide, you can see that for the average person or someone on a regional AutoX course, a stock spoiler is probably the best idea. Anything taller will just make your car less aerodynamic, not more. For those on a nationals AutoX course or a road course/circle track, you might think about a Type R wing or something by a big name JDM racing team (Jun, Mugen, Spoon, Toda, etc.). They're the only companies I'd rely on for aerodynamic products that are actually aerodynamic. Even the big name JDM body kit producers are a little questionable (Cwest, etc.).

Hope that helps.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:06 AM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Big help qtiger, thanks alot. The only hard part is if im going to put a spoiler then its very difficult to find the good range between too much drag and alot of downforce, next to too much upforce and not being effective. Thanks again.

Sam