Notices

Why the Civic?

Old 05-26-2003, 05:36 PM
offtheheezay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the Civic?

Before I ask my question, I want to make some things clear. This question is not ment to offened anyone, or their car. It is simply out of curiosity, not ment to start anything negative.

I noticed that most people here are geared towards performance, if performance is what you are after, why did you pick a Civic for a car?

Again, this is not ment to offened, and you must amit that there are better cars out there, for the same price as a civic. Thank you for your time. I myself have a MR2 Turbo.

I am sorry in advance if I stepped on any toes, I did not mean to. Feel free to ask me any questions.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:40 PM
dom93hatch
more meat, more fire

Civics are cheap and light. Insurance isn't so bad, unlike the MR2 Turbo (friend has one...insurance is a PITA). It's easy and relatively cheap to make Civics fast and handle well, and parts are virtually unlimited.

Eventually when I have more money though, I'm stepping out of Hondas... I want an MR2 Turbo too.

Old 05-26-2003, 05:43 PM
Level_7

You're going to get some unpleasant replies now...too bad since you just joined.

Rationally, you have to understand who most of the posters are (that is, demographically pigeon-hole them). Most are under 25, so money is a problem/shortcoming. The civic is a nice, reliable, economical car in its stock form - plus its cheap. There are very few people on this board that would keep their (albeit heavily modified) civics if they could buy a Porsche 911GT3 or a Lambo Murciellago (sp?) , but alas, they need money for that. At the same time, they don't want to drive _just_ a civic, so they add stuff to it.

Besides, who needs a 11.2s 1/4mile when you get 32 mpg ?
Old 05-26-2003, 05:46 PM
pinoydon2003

ur question is one that everyone who doesn't have a civic seems to wonder about.

the answer is simply this: civics have low insurance costs, are relatively reliable, inexpensive to buy, inexpensive to maintain, and inexpensive to modify.. ANY car can be modified for performance, it all depends on $.

but yeah, i'm selling the civic this summer. what will i get next? like dom93hatch, i want a turbo mr2 or an SR-powered 240sx. i'm tired of front wheel drive and natural aspiration.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:49 PM
offtheheezay

Originally posted by Level_7
You're going to get some unpleasant replies now...too bad since you just joined.

Rationally, you have to understand who most of the posters are (that is, demographically pigeon-hole them). Most are under 25, so money is a problem/shortcoming. The civic is a nice, reliable, economical car in its stock form - plus its cheap. There are very few people on this board that would keep their (albeit heavily modified) civics if they could buy a Porsche 911GT3 or a Lambo Murciellago (sp?) , but alas, they need money for that. At the same time, they don't want to drive _just_ a civic, so they add stuff to it.

Besides, who needs a 11.2s 1/4mile when you get 32 mpg ?
You see, I asked for performance, not what the car was originally made for, an inexpensive reliable econo-car for entrepeneurs(sp). Yes, I do agree that parts are very ceap, mostly because of inflation, there are so many of them. Its too bad I am going to get heated replies, but I am ready to take them.

You noted that "they done want to drive just a civic". Well, as I said, there are many other cars, for the same price range, that offer more in terms of performance. Its funny, I was looking through the galleries, it seems about %70 of the population on this board has a N1 exhaust. Sort of funy, for all the people who want to be original.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:53 PM
Level_7

Originally posted by offtheheezay
You see, I asked for performance, not what the car was originally made for, an inexpensive reliable econo-car for entrepeneurs(sp). Yes, I do agree that parts are very ceap, mostly because of inflation, there are so many of them. Its too bad I am going to get heated replies, but I am ready to take them.

You noted that "they done want to drive just a civic". Well, as I said, there are many other cars, for the same price range, that offer more in terms of performance. Its funny, I was looking through the galleries, it seems about %70 of the population on this board has a N1 exhaust. Sort of funy, for all the people who want to be original.
Same price range and more performance...maybe - but they would not be reliable and have large insurance rates; both those are drawbacks. Examples would clarify, so what cars did you have in mind?

Edit: BTW, what do you drive?
Old 05-26-2003, 05:58 PM
Crash&Burn

People won't take a crappy exhaust just so they can be 'different.'

We mod our cars so that it is more than a Civic, but still has the reliablility of one. If you went out and bought a taurus or something, youg et the reliability of an old woman with alzheimers.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:06 PM
offtheheezay

Originally posted by Level_7
Same price range and more performance...maybe - but they would not be reliable and have large insurance rates; both those are drawbacks. Examples would clarify, so what cars did you have in mind?

Edit: BTW, what do you drive?
I drive a MR2 Turbo. Cars I had in mind are NeonSRT-4, RX7, 240sx, 280zx, supra, mr2, ect. Sure, these cars arent equivvalent in price by the year, but even the older ones offer more erformance than that of any modern Civic. You note that the general Civic populations chooses them because they are cheap? They why spend close to $1000 on intake/header/exhaust, only to see minor horsepower gains? Again ,this question is more about performance.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:07 PM
offtheheezay

Originally posted by Crash&Burn
People won't take a crappy exhaust just so they can be 'different.'
Ever heard of enginuity? Custom exhaust, and also, there is a huge aftermakret for civcs, as your peers mentioned.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:08 PM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

i think the modification aspect of civics makes it fun... for instance, i bet most of us would agree its more fun to build a car to get to 190 hp, than buy one like that stock...where's the hobby?