Notices

94 civic crank sheared at pulley

Old 06-07-2010, 05:44 AM
mason rocket
my 2 cense

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 civic crank sheared at pulley

Here is what I got... my crank broke off between the pulley and cover for the timing belt. The key-way and key are on the broken off piece and are fine. The bolt did not snap either. What would cause this? over-tightening of the belts? Over-torquing the crank pulley bolt? I just had the water-pump done and the garage had the pulley off while they did the work. I have pics if anyone wants to see just dunno how to post em.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:44 AM
cruzalekz

weird, post the pics. they probably probably crossthreaded the crank bolt and kept on gunning it until it bottoms out but this time it was not line up correctly/sideways a bit that there was play on the crank. just guessing
Old 06-13-2010, 01:48 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

may have over-tightened the belts or a combo of what cruz said. I would definitely have that shop tow your car and fix everything free of charge.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:34 AM
mason rocket
my 2 cense

[IMG] http://s957.photobucket.com/albums/a...9.jpg&newest=1 [/IMG]
[IMG] http://s957.photobucket.com/albums/a...g%26newest%3D1 [/IMG]

ok that obviously didnt work. the pics can bee seen on those links. I went to the shop once already and told the head mechanic I think they overtightened something. he said according to the crack it appears there is some rust where it sheared indicating a crack was there for a while. Thanks for everyone's input so far. I guess I need to go on the attack with the guys who did this cause they are playing dumb.

Last edited by mason rocket; 06-14-2010 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

maybe it's just me, but in the first pic that you posted, the threads on the bolt appear to be very corse. It might just be the picture, but the threads on honda crank bolts are pretty fine.

Is it possible that they didn't re-install the correct crank bolt, and used something else which could have slighly expanded the hole enough to add serious amount of stress when cranked down with their impact...

Not saying that this is definatly what happened, but it's something to think about.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:22 PM
mason rocket
my 2 cense

I personally took this to the owner and told him thats what I thought happened. Many other people have reasoned that the crank bolt was improperly installed. The j*ck*ss owner maintained his position that this was a fluke incident and none of his mechanics could have done anything which would have contributed to this. In 30 year of working on cars he claims to have seen the same thing happen twice. I also spoke with a honda tech who came to look at the car for purchase and he claims to have seen this happen before for no apparent reason. so the car is for sale now...
Old 07-03-2010, 01:34 PM
cruzalekz

yaiks, how about a lawsuit on that garage bro,. i mean u gave them a business and you ended loosing your ride. i would call bar, bureau of automotive and repair
Old 07-03-2010, 05:57 PM
mason rocket
my 2 cense

from what I can glean, this BAr is only for california. correct me if I am wrong. Anyway for those who are from PA avoid Just Cruisin inc.