Notices

That classic suspension question...

Old 03-18-2003, 08:52 PM
dlh1999
Runs with scissors.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That classic suspension question...

I've searched the forum for the answer I'm looking for, but there are so many different opinions about this...so I'm asking once more. I have a '97 HX with stock rims that I'd like to drop, but here's the deal. I'm lowering it with stock shocks for now, and on the stock rims for now. I'll be getting new rims and tires, but that's not happening immediately. I'm not going the coilover route, but I'm not sure how much of a drop to go for. So what does everyone think? I was thinking 1.8" to 2"...what are the pros and cons for each? Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks...
Old 03-19-2003, 01:22 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lowering the car too much will alter the suspension geometry and can f*ck up your handling. Likewise, It will cause unpleasant rubbing once you step up to bigger wheels and tires. If you lower your car 1.8"-2", this is not likely to be a serious issue. Its probably a good idea to get a camber kit if you lower more than 1.5".

Also, changing the spring rate too much without changing damping (shocks) can make your car handle worse, so regardless of your short-term plans, at some point you should step up to better shocks.

That said, it sounds to me like an intermediate lowering spring (something like the Eibach pro-kit) would be pretty good for what youre looking for. It'd lower your car about 1.5", is managable without a camber kit, and is soft enough to maintain decent handling and ride with stock shocks.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:02 AM
4-banging

Originally posted by white_n_slow
..That said, it sounds to me like an intermediate lowering spring (something like the Eibach pro-kit) would be pretty good for what youre looking for. It'd lower your car about 1.5", is managable without a camber kit, and is soft enough to maintain decent handling and ride with stock shocks.
i concur
Old 03-19-2003, 09:05 AM
dantastic
cx power!

prokit, neuspeed sport, h&r sport, rs*r all work well with stock shocks. lowering will alter ur geometry, but its correctable at any alignment shop. that is all but camber. negative camber give better grip in turns, at the cost of tire wear and a bit of straight line stability.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:47 AM
dlh1999
Runs with scissors.

Thanks for everyone's input...I'll probably decide what I'm going to do for sure pretty soon and post pics when it's done.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:46 AM
dubss

i'm getting sportsline from eibach...it drops just under 2"..i heard that i don't need a camber kit for them..is this true?
Old 03-20-2003, 01:37 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

You'll need to get an alignment and your tires rotated pretty often. Even so, the tires will still wear out kinda quick without a camber kit. But since you're riding on 14s, I wouldn't worry about it. You should get a camber kit when you step up to bigger wheels(read: more ex$pensive tires):thumbup:
Old 03-20-2003, 02:09 PM
preylude99

well definitely an alignment and rotation of tires. The eibach pro-kit is a 1.3inch drop and you will not need a camber kit, its just that 1.3 sometimes isnt enough for people.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:08 AM
kornycivic

Default my drop...

I dropped my civic 1.5 in the front and 2.0 in the back. used Eibach Ground Control adjustable springs, and Koni Yellow struts. I have 17 inch rims and 215/40 tires, and they don't rub at all. This is a pretty expensive way to go....BUT it's well worth it. If you can only do springs now, I can tell you that your stock struts will be blown in no time. Depending on how many miles are on your struts now...you might get another 10-20,000 miles before they're totally shot. A friend of mine used adjustable springs to lower his hatch...and stock struts and well...it sucked :-) it bounced like mad, didn't handle well, and basically blew goats...so IF you can, plan on getting some nice adjustable struts ASAP. KYB AGX's are supposed to be pretty good, but I havn't used them myself. someone I know has them and he claims they make a "swooshing" sound sometimes when you courner really hard, but it doesn't bother him so... any way, just my .02 cents.

Also wanted to add, that with anything over like .7 inch of drop, you HAVE to get a 4 wheel alighment, cuz even if it SEEMS like the car drives fine, it doesn't. At the drop I have I never scraped, just got to be kind of carefull over short tall speed bumps. also...you MAY want a camber kit, but with the drop I have, I havn't really experienced enough odd tire wear to warrent the cost of a camber kit, and getting someone to install it (a shop has to do it so they can alighn it) i've been driving on this drop for like 2 years now, and have only gone through 2 sets of tires, I drive pretty sanely on the street, but i do make it to 2-3 track days each year so they get abused then :-)....good luck!
Old 03-21-2003, 07:14 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

thats my setup too. And it is the shiznit, but I don't really think thats what this guy's looking for. If he's just looking for a nice lowering/mild performance spring, he can swing stock shocks for a while. Sounds like he's got it figured out--eibach pro-kit or sportlines or some H&R equivalent would do just fine. Just gotta remember to get the camber kit when the ex$pensive tires come along, and when the stock shocks wear out, replace them with something nice.:thumbup: