Notices

Q about fiberglass

Old 06-21-2002, 03:11 PM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q about fiberglass

guys, I'm trying to lay some fiberglass for the interior of my car. What do you guys use for molds? how do you make them, what material do you use? thanks in advance...
Old 06-21-2002, 04:05 PM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

can anyone help?
Old 06-21-2002, 04:13 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

what exactly are you making molds of?
Old 06-21-2002, 04:28 PM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

not sure yet. I think it would be sweet to make kick panels and stuff like that for speakers, so I am trying to learn how to use fiberglass. I need somebody to tell me how to make molds, I've heard spray foam works okay, just wondering what else people use and how to do it, like techniques and stuff. see what I mean?
Old 06-21-2002, 04:33 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

I know how to lay fiberglass...but not custom molds. If I was to do custom interior parts, I'd leave it to the pros, but that is just me.

I've done a few exterior repairs with fiberglass, but thats about all the experience I know with fiberglass.

Sorry I couldnt be of much help there, but you might want to try your local bookstore. I found lots of great info on bodywork and custom work.
Old 06-21-2002, 05:18 PM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

spray foam gets kinda costly, plus it expands uncontrollably. in other words, it SUX ASS CRACK... as far as molds, what i usually do is grab very flexible chicken wire from a local hardware store and cut up the shape that i want. the chicken wire doesn't have to be in one sheet so don't kill yourself over trying to shape it. once i have the shape i want, i usually smooth the frame out by trimming all protruding pieces of wire and lay some type of masking tape over it. after that, i'd glue a plastic bag over it, which takes the shape of your kickpanel. the plastic bag will make separating the fiberglass from the frame hell of alot easier. then make the mold by laying fiberglass over the bag and wait till it dries. the fiberglass is going to be your actual mold, so i'd suggest to lay a couple more layers to strengthen it. once that's all squared away, sand down the resin and smooth it out. if it's still not smooth, then use a thin layer of bondo and sand accordingly. now you have your mold. but before laying for your kick panel, polish the mold with about 4-5 layers of super high wax so that the resin doesn't stick to your mold. GOOD LUCK!!! and expect to be patient cause it takes lots of time. :thumbup:

...btw, i'm not a genius when it comes to this. i'm sure there are better, quicker ways of doing it, but this is the way that worked for me. i'm still learning too...

Last edited by SUPER LAUBO; 06-21-2002 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:40 PM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

Originally posted by SUPER LAUBO
spray foam gets kinda costly, plus it expands uncontrollably. in other words, it SUX ASS CRACK... as far as molds, what i usually do is grab very flexible chicken wire from a local hardware store and cut up the shape that i want. the chicken wire doesn't have to be in one sheet so don't kill yourself over trying to shape it. once i have the shape i want, i usually smooth the frame out by trimming all protruding pieces of wire and lay some type of masking tape over it. after that, i'd glue a plastic bag over it, which takes the shape of your kickpanel. the plastic bag will make separating the fiberglass from the frame hell of alot easier. then make the mold by laying fiberglass over the bag and wait till it dries. the fiberglass is going to be your actual mold, so i'd suggest to lay a couple more layers to strengthen it. once that's all squared away, sand down the resin and smooth it out. if it's still not smooth, then use a thin layer of bondo and sand accordingly. now you have your mold. but before laying for your kick panel, polish the mold with about 4-5 layers of super high wax so that the resin doesn't stick to your mold. GOOD LUCK!!! and expect to be patient cause it takes lots of time. :thumbup:

...btw, i'm not a genius when it comes to this. i'm sure there are better, quicker ways of doing it, but this is the way that worked for me. i'm still learning too...
alright man I appreciate the help
Old 06-21-2002, 06:56 PM
arch iceman

First of all you cant use expanding foam and fiberglass resin together. The resin will chemically react with the foam and melt it.

Also when working with fiberglass in your interior tape off everything, fiberglass resin will not come out of carpet, seats, or any cloting you are wearing.

The mixture of the fiberglass resin to hardener is very important, I suggest you practice alot. Mix too much hardener and the fiberglass will cure before you finish laying it, or get clumped if you continue trying. Mix too little and it will not cure properly and just run like gel. Mix it too hot and it will warp the mold from the heat of the resin reacting.

As far as making kick panels go, it involves making a fiberglass mold of the floor. Then a wood plate or baffle for the speakers. Angle the speakers appropriately and secure the plate to the mold to keep the angle. Remove from vehicle, and stretch cloth over the entire front of the kick panel including the panel and glass over it. Touch up with bondo, and more glass if you need to increase strength.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:59 PM
arch iceman

Also use duck tape to cover the floor where you are going to glass, use 2-3 layers of tape so it doesnt leak between the seams. Coat the tape with a high temp mold release sold at most fiberglass resin specialty dealers, so the glass mold will just pull right off without breaking or damaging the interior.

Working with fiberglass takes alot of patience.
Old 06-21-2002, 07:01 PM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

Originally posted by arch iceman
Also when working with fiberglass in your interior tape off everything, fiberglass resin will not come out of carpet, seats, or any clothing you are wearing.
I really want to make all the pieces outside of my car, I don't want to deal with masking my car and using tin foil on everything.

I was planning on mixing the hardener the way the instructions on the resin say to. I know you only mix up a little at a time, use it then make more if needed.

Quick Reply: Q about fiberglass