View Single Post
Old 06-21-2002, 05:18 PM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spray foam gets kinda costly, plus it expands uncontrollably. in other words, it SUX ASS CRACK... as far as molds, what i usually do is grab very flexible chicken wire from a local hardware store and cut up the shape that i want. the chicken wire doesn't have to be in one sheet so don't kill yourself over trying to shape it. once i have the shape i want, i usually smooth the frame out by trimming all protruding pieces of wire and lay some type of masking tape over it. after that, i'd glue a plastic bag over it, which takes the shape of your kickpanel. the plastic bag will make separating the fiberglass from the frame hell of alot easier. then make the mold by laying fiberglass over the bag and wait till it dries. the fiberglass is going to be your actual mold, so i'd suggest to lay a couple more layers to strengthen it. once that's all squared away, sand down the resin and smooth it out. if it's still not smooth, then use a thin layer of bondo and sand accordingly. now you have your mold. but before laying for your kick panel, polish the mold with about 4-5 layers of super high wax so that the resin doesn't stick to your mold. GOOD LUCK!!! and expect to be patient cause it takes lots of time. :thumbup:

...btw, i'm not a genius when it comes to this. i'm sure there are better, quicker ways of doing it, but this is the way that worked for me. i'm still learning too...

Last edited by SUPER LAUBO; 06-21-2002 at 05:28 PM.