Notices

Usdm Si Cluster Rpm Problem

Old 02-08-2003, 12:18 PM
JDM-B18C-2KHB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Usdm Si Cluster Rpm Problem

My freind has a USDM 98 honda civic hatchback CX (final assembly in Canada), he bought a usdm 99-00 civic si cluster, the clip for the rpm part in the back, clipped right in.... but the rpm wont register??? whats up? the needle SLOWLY floated up to, and is now floating between 4 and 5 grand, the rev of the motor has no affect to where the needle goes, and also when we turn the car off the needle stays between 4 and 5 grand. help me out guys.

secondary problem is the speedometer needle is shakey, during normal operation the speedometer needle seems wobbly or has a shakey effect whenever decelerating or accelerating. anyone has this same problem before or knows how to fix it please give some advice.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:21 PM
crucial Si
Banned

maybe something is not connected to the distributor correctly? :dunno:
Old 02-08-2003, 12:29 PM
JDM-B18C-2KHB

if that was the case what could be hooked up wrong.

UPDATE: also when the car is warmed up, whenever you drive and come to a stop, the idle will drop real low and the idle will be real rough for like two seconds then it will either die, or idle back to normal. is this have anything to do with the problem??? thanks guys.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:29 PM
oc_civic
mcc racing

Originally posted by upgraded Si
maybe something is not connected to the distributor correctly? :dunno:
i agree that is VERY unusual.. to the best of MY knowledge they are plug and play.. there are NO additional modifications.. do we know FOR SURE that the cluster is in NORMAL operating order.. i would say if his cx cluster worked fine and the new cluster does NOT something is definately wrong with the NEW cluster
Old 02-08-2003, 12:56 PM
JDM-B18C-2KHB

the cx cluster worked fine but it didnt have the rpm readout on the panel
Old 02-08-2003, 01:25 PM
EJ6 Civic
Big Stud Member

When I bought an EX cluster for my DX, the RPM gauge wouldn't work right, or read the correct RPM's. It would hesitate, then finally move, but it wouldn't read the correct RPM's, and then the needle would slowly float back down. Turned out I had a bad cluster, so i went back to the wrecking yard and ripped them a new @sshole until they finally agreed to give me another cluster. Could be the gauges are broken. Find someone with an EX cluster, or find someone with an SI, swap in their cluster and see if it works. If someone elses cluster works, then your friends SI cluster is garbage.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:54 PM
crucial Si
Banned

Originally posted by oc_civic
i agree that is VERY unusual.. to the best of MY knowledge they are plug and play.. there are NO additional modifications.. do we know FOR SURE that the cluster is in NORMAL operating order.. i would say if his cx cluster worked fine and the new cluster does NOT something is definately wrong with the NEW cluster
whomevers car that came off of, might of taken off indiglo gauges and pulled the needle out to far, or even of taken it off, which will leave it useless to you. take it back, or pull it out again and check to see if the needle moves pretty freely when you move it with your finger.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:55 AM
JDM-B18C-2KHB

yea it looks like it had indiglos since the little screws on the face were already loose.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:44 PM
crucial Si
Banned

Originally posted by JDM-B18C-2KHB
yea it looks like it had indiglos since the little screws on the face were already loose.
does the rpm needle move freely? try pushing on it, (inwards) it might of not of broken it, but just check, if that doesnt work, return it and bish..
Old 02-09-2003, 06:55 PM
ManTiS
NinJA

All needles should move freely with the exception of the fuel and maybe the temp (not sure on that one)