Notices

Just purchased a '92 Civic. Couple questions...

Old 06-20-2002, 12:43 PM
bmwguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased a '92 Civic. Couple questions...

I'm not very familiar with Honda's, so I have a couple questions for the board. I just picked up a '92 Civic VX for cheap that had an ignition problem. A friend in the wrecking business suggested the distributor being the problem since they fail so much. Sure enough, 15 minutes later the car ran awesome. I'm happy! My question... what goes bad in these distributors? It looks like there's a coil pack of some kind in there, etc. What are the options for fixing one? Used, new, rebuilt, buy parts and repair yourself?

My other question is about the stock stereo. Its an am/fm/cassette and I don't have the security code. What's the best way to go about getting the code?

TIA for your help...

Dan
Old 06-20-2002, 12:57 PM
derf
Spec5

Default Re: Just purchased a '92 Civic. Couple questions...

Originally posted by bmwguy
I'm not very familiar with Honda's, so I have a couple questions for the board. I just picked up a '92 Civic VX for cheap that had an ignition problem. A friend in the wrecking business suggested the distributor being the problem since they fail so much. Sure enough, 15 minutes later the car ran awesome. I'm happy! My question... what goes bad in these distributors? It looks like there's a coil pack of some kind in there, etc. What are the options for fixing one? Used, new, rebuilt, buy parts and repair yourself?

My other question is about the stock stereo. Its an am/fm/cassette and I don't have the security code. What's the best way to go about getting the code?

TIA for your help...

Dan
i don't know about the price of a new distributor, but, 92 and 93 were known for distributor problems. maybe find a junked one form a newer 5th gen (92-95)? stock stereo. what "security code" are you SURE its stock? b/c my 93 had an am/fm/cas and there was no sercurity code of any sort... what is the stereo doing?
Old 06-20-2002, 01:19 PM
crucial Si
Banned

Default Re: Just purchased a '92 Civic. Couple questions...

Originally posted by bmwguy

TIA for your help...

Dan
i had the same problem with my car....all i replaced was the coil b/c that was bad and the rotor. car started right up. i went ahead and bought a new o ring,cap and something else i dont remember but i paid about $100 for everything but that was with my honda discount.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:28 PM
derf
Spec5

Default Re: Re: Just purchased a '92 Civic. Couple questions...

Originally posted by crucial Si

i had the same problem with my car....all i replaced was the coil b/c that was bad and the rotor. car started right up. i went ahead and bought a new o ring,cap and something else i dont remember but i paid about $100 for everything but that was with my honda discount.
excuse my ignorance but in the entire assembly what are the parst to the distributor?... that black cap part that all the wires connect to... whats that called... then the thing that spins... is that the coil? somebody just verbally disect the thing so I stop racking my brain to the terminology of the parts....
Old 06-20-2002, 01:30 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Default Re: Re: Just purchased a '92 Civic. Couple questions...

:werd:

my coil/ignitor gave up on me on the freeway.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:07 PM
crucial Si
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Just purchased a '92 Civic. Couple questions...

Originally posted by asiandoood

:werd:

my coil/ignitor gave up on me on the freeway.

mine gave out on me at a supermarket.....i started the car went in reverse then the car shut off. i was like wtf. i tried to start the car thinking i may have slipped off the clutch but nothing. i was like great....i called up civic1.6vtec and he was actually in the same shopping center i was in so he help me push it out of the way...i had to call up my boy to bring his trailer to get me home. my mech came over while i was looking at my car and we took the dis. off and the coil was bad, the spring wasnt even there. the rotor was looking kinda shady also.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:08 PM
crucial Si
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Just purchased a '92 Civic. Couple questions...

Originally posted by derf

excuse my ignorance but in the entire assembly what are the parst to the distributor?... that black cap part that all the wires connect to... whats that called... then the thing that spins... is that the coil? somebody just verbally disect the thing so I stop racking my brain to the terminology of the parts....
i know the thing that spins is the rotor and the coil is a little box with a spring on the top of it...i think
Old 06-20-2002, 02:28 PM
eg_bert
hoooorraayy Beer

about the radio code you're gonna have to take it to the dealer so they can check the serial number to make sure its not stolen and then theyll give ya a 4 digit number to enter in the radio. they charge you like 35 bux or something like that, maybe more. hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:27 PM
CivicRicer

How much did you buy your car for? You said you got it real cheap and I'm a little curious.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:36 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Just purchased a '92 Civic. Couple questions...

mine gave out on me at a supermarket.....i started the car went in reverse then the car shut off. i was like wtf. i tried to start the car thinking i may have slipped off the clutch but nothing. i was like great....i called up civic1.6vtec and he was actually in the same shopping center i was in so he help me push it out of the way...i had to call up my boy to bring his trailer to get me home. my mech came over while i was looking at my car and we took the dis. off and the coil was bad, the spring wasnt even there. the rotor was looking kinda shady also.

ur lucky...i was stuck on the freeway for almost an hour...at nite

Quick Reply: Just purchased a '92 Civic. Couple questions...