Notices

Spastic Idle

Old 01-18-2003, 07:53 PM
gibson
Bambi Killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spastic Idle

I just replaced the head gasket on my `95 DX today, and after getting everything back together, when I start it, the idle is extremely spastic. I don't know exactly how high it's going because there's no tach, but it sounds like it drops till its almost ready to die, and then revs up pretty high. It does this continuously, up and down. We played around with it a bit, but had to cut it short, so I figured I'd see if anyone knew what was up. I've checked the idle adjustment, and the throttle cable tension, and a gew other things, with no luck. From what I've found so far, it could be the timing belt being offset, or air in the coolant system. Both of which are very likely.

Anyone know anything else I should check?

thanks
Old 01-18-2003, 07:54 PM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Vacuum hose leak? :dunno:

Same thing happened on my friend's teg and another friend's LS hatch.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:55 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately check to see if you put the timing belt on exactly right.

I had this same problem with my swap and it ended up being not enough voltage going to the sensors in and around the throttle body.

I'd check the timing belt first though.

Hope it helps.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:01 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

I had the same problem when I swapped intake manifolds. Turned out it was a small fleck of gasket that was left on the head, so it wasn't getting a tight seal. I'd crack the intake manifold back off, and see if that is sealing correctly. Other than that, it has to be something related to a vacuum leak, or the timing belt. Might be off by a tooth, or you didn't tighten the tensioner, so the belt is bouncing between loose and tight...
Old 01-18-2003, 10:07 PM
gibson
Bambi Killer

[i]I'd crack the intake manifold back off, and see if that is sealing correctly.[/B]

hmmmmm I think we might have a winner on this one. the original gasket crumbled when I took it off, and left little bits on stuck to the manifold. I scraped most of it off, but I bet it wasn't good enough. I'll pull it off tomorrow and try again. is it ok to reuse the new gasket?
Old 01-18-2003, 10:10 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

As long as the new gasket isn't deeply scored, and the old goo hasn't pressed into it, you should be ok. Just make sure it hasn't fused to the manifold or head yet. Also, either get a gasket scraper, or just be DAMN CAREFUL with a razor blade. You dig in on that aluminum, and you're f%&ked...
Old 01-19-2003, 02:57 AM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you didn't get your TPS, IACV, and MAP sensor plugs mixed up, since they all look alike.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:57 AM
gibson
Bambi Killer

Originally posted by inspyral
Make sure you didn't get your TPS, IACV, and MAP sensor plugs mixed up, since they all look alike.
I don't have the layout in front of me, but are all of these plugs near eachother in the engine bay? As far as I could tell, everything got plugged back to where it came from, as the wires are generally layed out where they go.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:34 AM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

I don't think I would worry too much about the plugs. Honda engineers designed the plugs in such a way they are fool proof. You shouldn't be able to plug different connectors together.

BTW, did you get any SES codes? They maybe helpful.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:43 AM
gibson
Bambi Killer

Originally posted by Hondaman
BTW, did you get any SES codes? They maybe helpful.
Can you get error codes out without the CEL coming on? I was amazed that it didn't, and thought it wouldn't spit the codes out at me unless it had.. I'll check it today and see what I come up with.