Notices

water pump **92 civic **

Old 01-14-2003, 05:11 PM
DCivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump **92 civic **

Hi everyone, how hard is it to replace the water pump? It looks kinda tight in there Is there a place I can look for instructions oh how to do this?

Thanks a bunch,
Old 01-14-2003, 06:08 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ooo... I just did this and I didn't think to do a 'how to' on it...

It's not extremely easy and you might as well replace the timing belt when you do it because you have to take it off to get to the water pump. The hardest parts are getting the 135 ft/lb bolt off of the crank pulley and then getting the timing belt back on correctly...

It takes a few hours to complete.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:40 PM
KillerB17

If u don't know how to work on cars take it somewhere. If u have a pretty good idea of what ur doing get a helm or chilton manual and get to work. At any parts store for about $14.99
Old 01-14-2003, 10:33 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

I'll be doing this soon on an engine outside of the engine bay. I got to thinking though... everyone says to loosen the crank pulley bolt and I even bought the tool but is it necessary? In the service manual for the d16z6 it seems like it says all you have to do is loosen the tensioner to take the timing belt off. Am I missing something?
Old 01-15-2003, 01:08 AM
DCivic

Originally posted by KillerB17
If u don't know how to work on cars take it somewhere. If u have a pretty good idea of what ur doing get a helm or chilton manual and get to work. At any parts store for about $14.99
Thanks for the replies...I have worked on cars before, but this is my first Honda I will be picking up a manual this weekend Just trying to get a feel if the water pump/timing belt R&R was a basic Sat. morning ordeal.

Suggestions on where to pick up the parts? (AutoZone, Pepboys, Dealer, etc.)

Thanks again,
DC
Old 01-15-2003, 03:08 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Originally posted by agent87
I'll be doing this soon on an engine outside of the engine bay. I got to thinking though... everyone says to loosen the crank pulley bolt and I even bought the tool but is it necessary? In the service manual for the d16z6 it seems like it says all you have to do is loosen the tensioner to take the timing belt off. Am I missing something?
If you're replacing the timing belt too, you have to remove the crank pulley to get the lower timing belt cover off to get the new timing belt on.. I wish it were just that simple. h:

As for parts, I just got mine from the Honda dealer (especially for the timing belt), but I'm sure you can get the water pump from pretty much anywhere.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:24 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Originally posted by westcoaststyle
If you're replacing the timing belt too, you have to remove the crank pulley to get the lower timing belt cover off to get the new timing belt on.. I wish it were just that simple. h:

As for parts, I just got mine from the Honda dealer (especially for the timing belt), but I'm sure you can get the water pump from pretty much anywhere.
:doh: I totally forgot about the cover. Maybe I'll do a write up too from a first timer's point of view...
Old 01-15-2003, 04:43 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

:doh: I totally forgot about the cover. Maybe I'll do a write up too from a first timer's point of view...
good idea :thumbup:

I've done it a bunch of times now so if you need some pointers feel free to email or PM me.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:32 PM
DCivic

: Maybe I'll do a write up too from a first timer's point of view...
"drooling" THAT would be great