Notices

Alternator or water pump? Video Included

Old 03-10-2009, 06:01 AM
TwilightX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator or water pump? Video Included

I've been encountering an issue the last two days that may be weather related but I'm not certain. The background into my 97 Civic DX is when it's fairly rainy and I hit a puddle, every once and a while I can hear a belt slip. Prior to the belt slipping, I also notice a considerable drop in voltage (my radar detector has a voltage display). About a three weeks ago I nailed a large puddle and the voltage dropped so low the radar detector indicated a low voltage state - normally I just wait till I hear the belt slip again and life is good. But this time it stayed at low voltage and a few times the battery light came on while I was driving but never stayed lit. After letting the car sit a few hours, everything returned back to normal.

This time around, I was driving into work in the rain and the low voltage warning on the detector came on again - at lunch it was still happening but after a drive out to get some food it returned back to normal (no battery indicator at all this time too). While it was having these issues, I noticed the engine was making a terrible whine even in neutral, but it went away when the issues went away as well. Last night I went out to the movies it was okay, but after sitting (and to be fair it was still damp out) the warning came back on the detector and it was making the whine at all rpm's once again. I was hoping this morning whatever may be wet dried out but the same issues are happening - can anyone tell me what this is? I've tried to isolate it and it almost sounds like the alternator got wet, but the whine almost sounds like it's coming from the engine, or possibly the water pump area.

I've made a video if it helps illustrate what's going on with it - any help is appreciated! I'd love to diagnose myself and fix the issue rather than taking it in. I tend to think it's electrical related due to the telltale drop in voltage, but I don't have much knowledge with alternators and the noise coming from the engine makes me second guess the diagnosis.

The link for the video is here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26785996@N08/3344304496/

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:51 PM
fathergoat
:3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the video didn't tell me a thing but from your description I'd say the alternator belt needs replaced. the water pump is run off the timing belt and if that slips your motor is screwed.