Notices

'98 Drum brakes... problems... I give!

Old 02-17-2009, 10:30 PM
UEDan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Drum brakes... problems... I give!

Damnit, my car has problems. I'm pretty sure at least one of my drum brakes is messed up. And being in college during a regression with no financial aid coming in doesnt help.

If I press the gas pedal while under 40MPH, the brake light on the dash turns on. Probably happened when I forgot to release the ebrakes and backed up off a ramp. I was tired, ok? And 2 months ago I skidded the rear passenger wheel in to a curb going down a mountain on a cold day. But thats another story =D

I took off the passenger rear wheel, saw the drum, and cant take the drum off.
My '98 doesnt have the 2 nuts holding the drum in place so I'm pretty confused on how to remove the drum.

Any help, please?

I know its the drums, because last week, if I were to yank the handbrake from a 1-4 mph roll it would stop dead. Now it creeps a little then stops.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Omie
ew n!gg@ u g@y

check your fluid first, if its low it will cause the light to go on and off while you are driving
Old 02-17-2009, 10:57 PM
UEDan

Nope, I was on the ramp to change the oil. Been checking all fulids since. All good, but I'll check it tomorrow morning, too cold now! brrrrr
Old 02-18-2009, 08:04 AM
cruzalekz

never seen bolts holding drums before, they usually have 2 screws.
to take the drums off, you will need a hammer and an impact driver.

or you should drive to the nearest shop and pay about 19 bucks for the brake inspection or some shops does the check for free. or you could probably buy an oil change and ask one of the techs to look at your brakes or so and just give them a tip.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:12 AM
UEDan

@Omie: my fluid levels are fine, just a little dirty.
Yeah I was reading a tutorial from a fifth generation civic. Looks like they have bolts.
I'd do the oil change thing, but like I said, I had JUST changed it last week. And I'm kinda broke after my ticket.
Reading around, I'm guessing the drum is just stuck because of all the crud right? I tried using the prying end of the tire iron, but it wouldnt budge.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:17 AM
cruzalekz

it gets stuck due to rust around the center hole of the drum thats where you use the hammer around that area.
now if your shoes are totally gone (metal contacts the brake drums for quite a while) then mostlikely, the metal shoe has receeded into the drums, i will wish you goodluck on that part.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

This is how you take drums off:

Looking directly into the drum, you'll notice that there are two bolt holes on either side of the drum, between where the studs stick out. Go to the store, pick out two bolts that will screw into the holes and keep screwing them in alternating every few turns. Eventually, you press the drum off.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by UEDan
I know its the drums, because last week, if I were to yank the handbrake from a 1-4 mph roll it would stop dead. Now it creeps a little then stops.
Sorry, I didnt see this earlier. Why dont you try adjusting your ebrake first, no need to take drums apart.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:00 PM
UEDan

Thanks alot so far.
I just got home. Funny thing you mentioned the ebrake adjustment. I did that earlier today in the parking lot while waiting for my next class(found 2 bic lighters and a Listerine pocketpak from the previous owner). Still not working, they work fine when parking, but from a crawl, its as if they're nonexistent!

I just tried to remove the driver side drum, wont budge. I hear a little rattle when I turn spin the drum. I saw the threaded holes, I'm going to go with that method.

Thanks a lot.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:47 AM
UEDan

Yeah, just here as a follow up.
Thanks a lot. Bought some brake fluid topped off. Brake light stopped flashing, but the brake pedal isnt has light, but its still pretty light, the drum brakes are a still shit. Gonna try and fine some balls to bleed my brakes. Found some of the right screws in my desk, gonna work on the drums tonight or something.

Thanks a lot.